1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

checked levels

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by acp1111, Aug 17, 2009.

1. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

Hi all

I've got a vision 180 tank and no matter what i do my levels are never right.
    All my fish seem healthy, touch wood and so do my corals apart from sun coral which I believe is underfed. So feeding it up now.

once a month I do a 54 litre water change. I've recently added seachem matrix to try and reduce nitrates. I regularly add phosphate remover. Ive removed internal filter and all the assembly housing. I have removed all the noodles week by week out of the canister filter, non left now. Ive cleaned the sponges in dirty water. Ive taken the sand bed down to 5mm - 10mm (dont want to take it down further because i have a chalk goby).

Alk: 15.6 dkh
    ph:7.8-8.0
    calcium:455ppm
    nitrate: 50
    nitrite: 0
    phosphate: 0.2-0.5
    magnesium: 1260

please can someone give me advice to get my levels right.

2. CBD

CBD Registered

Hi,

I too have the vision 180. All your levels look pretty spot on TBH, your mag could do with coming up to around 1350 this will help you other levels keep more stable. With regards to your water changes I would do a 10% change each week rather than a large water change each month. This will add base elements in smaller amounts and your corals will show the benefit with the smaller changes. Little and often is always best.

Your Alk level is also a little high but this will not cause any major issues. If you adopt the 10% a week changes this will bring it back in line. You want to be around the 8-11 mark.

Your nitrate levels are a little high but I have seen alot worse. Try and have a look round your tank and see if you notice any 'dead spots' places that dirt and waste can gather. Your rock work should be open and have have good all round flow. The flow in the tank is critical to allow your Live rock to do its job. When I ran an external filter I ran carbon, rowaphos and filter floss only. I dumped the filter floss every 7 days and replaced it with new. Your nitrate level may fall back in line over a couple of weeks after you have removed all the noodles this would of put more load on the system, however you have done the right thing.

Try adding a ball of cheato behind some of your rock work, its very compact and will stay together and absorb your nitrates as long as it sees light.

HTH

3. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

Hi 0

thank you for your advice, I will start to do regular water changes. I will also have a look around my tank. I have increased my flow around the tank by adding an extra power head (last week).

Cheers Andy

4. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

Hi

When you used filter floss where abouts did you put it. I have a Fluval 305 with sponges in holder on one side, and the other 3 twin compartments.

Cheers Andy

5. screwloose

screwloose Registered

phos is very high at 0.2-0.5

should be looking at 0.03 and below really..

are you buying RO,,or do you make your own,,if so do you know what the tds is ?

6. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

Yeah buying ro water from lfs, but since this post I have changed my supplier. I think they use tropic marin salt. I have started to do more regular water changes of one a week. I have also changed from rowaphos to tank test phosphate remover. The tank has been running without a protein for a couple of weeks, as it has been taken back to the shop because it just never worked. Only just got a refund yesterday. Im thinking of a tmc v2 400. Does anybody recommend them.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The lack of a skimmer won't help your phosphate so don't worry too much.

The TMC skimmers are o.k. I have one but I would look at the deltec ones if you can afford them.

I am looking to upgrade the pump on my V2 so when you add this to the cost of the original skimmer you might be better off with a deltec hang on one.

8. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

cheers, i was looking at either a v2 or mce300.

9. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

The V2 skimmers themselves seem to do a good job.

The only complaints I have heard about them is the use of Rio pumps, these are not the best and are often noisy. My 1100 that I currently use as a sump pump drives me mad. I will not be using them in my upgrade tank.

10. screwloose

screwloose Registered

also look into getting your own RO unit too ;)

11. acp1111

acp1111 Registered

I did have a via aqua muliti skimmer 2. It was so noisy at start, then that got sorted. It then leaked and the shop fixed it. It then leaked again. I went on holiday in july came back and found it had leaked again. It never in 8 months collected anything in the cup.

Im a bit put off with spending alot on a skimmer after that.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I had one of those on my first marine tank. A complete load of rubbish IMO.

I would consider the Deltec one if I was you. It seems ideal for your tank.

13. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

You might like to try Vodka

It is IMPORTANT that you have a new skimmer running first

dosing is 1ml per 100 L ( if in doubt go less )

takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in, this is Carbon feeding
    the food source promotes bacteria that feed on the sugar, nitrates and phosphates

I did this because of some poor water I was purchasing
    and have invested in an RO unit and TDS meter as a consequence

after two week you can increase to 1.5 ml per 100 L

dont over dose the vodka

or you can spend on Carbon feeding solution at the LFS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice