1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Cheato

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by trumpet30, Jan 18, 2018.

1. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

I have a small tank with a sump. It’s a Juwel lido 120 and I want to grow cheato in the sump. Can you tell me the best set up. I only have two chambers. The first houses a filter sock with the overflow pipe, skimmer and heaters. The second chamber houses the return pump.

Any information on a suitable setup would be great.

Thanks

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer Registered

A pic of sump may help bud

3. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

[​IMG]

4. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

So on the the right I have a skimmer at the front. Heaters round the back and the inlet pipe to the sump at the back via a filter sock. The left hand side is the return pump. As you can see I did place led strip lighting on the right of the sump and dropped some cheato in. The cheato seems to have reduced in size and reading elsewhere I believe that cheato needs to be tumbled or have flow. The filter sock stops this and the cheato is in low flow area. Help. Do I move the light and cheato to the pump side where the water is turbulent or do I look to place the cheato in some form of unit with a pump running flow over it. Really need some help to get this right and the cheato working.

5. sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer Registered

Hi bud am afraid that it won’t work that way, there’s nothing wrong by the Cheeto not tumbling, mainly it will need a reasonable space and light to grow, seeing your set up i’ll give you a few ideas and you can see which one better suits to you.

1. Remove filter sock out of the system and move protein skimmer into return pump chamber, leaving you with first chamber empty to grow Cheeto. Also add some light from the top instead of side.

2. Look at a light reactor like an ALR1 or the diy version.
    Can find a few on tube

3. Mount an algae scrubber above the sump they work better if you seed it with Ulva intestinal macro algae. Again a lot of vid on tube for this. The

6. sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer Registered

Also if you growing cheeto for nitrate control you could look in to

4. Siporax on eggcrate box in sump

5. Carbon dosing (vodka, vinegar, bio pellets etc)

Instead of Cheeto

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice