1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Grow Out/frag Tank

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by mtc1, Apr 6, 2018.

1. mtc1

mtc1 Registered

A few pics of the frag tank i made from a cheap £10 Euro container off ebay. It measures 600 x 400 and is food grade. Pipework is 25mm with a single 40mm drain.

I wanted a tank to grow out frags without unwanted attention from the tanks livestock but i didn't want to set up a separate tank or increase energy costs, the frag tank is fed from the main tanks return pump and the light is a single 15w Kessil A80 Tuna Blue.

frag tank1.jpg frag2.jpg

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

nice piece of work

3. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Nice .how is the Clarissa filter working for you I'm thinking of getting one ?

4. shazants

shazants Registered

Very nice clean setup... congrats.... love the idea of the "Grow out" tank ...... I don't have the extra space that you have under my tank ... but makes me wonder if i can create something kinda similar in the Refuge area of my sump .... just keeping the Cheato separate.

@Crossy I have recently changed to a Clarisea over the last few months... so maybe a little early to give a proper review.... but what i can say is the crap it removes is noticeable... in all areas.
    You can visibly see the amount of waste that is being removed on the filter media, also my Fuge is also a lot cleaner (without any die off from the beneficial Algea's) ..... the display tank is also looking good....my only real issue is how long each of the replacement rolls will last....I think my limit will be 2months.... any less than that and i will likely remove and replace with Socks/Floss..... but we will see.

5. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Thank you kindly for taking the time 2 reply and 2 months is not bad

6. mtc1

mtc1 Registered

Haven't logged in for a while but it's a Theiling Rollermat in the picture, it was excellent, never missed a beat. I tried the Clarisea (DD) and it was just cheap junk, sent it back after a day. Loads of people are having issues with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice