1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Cement

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by [email protected], Aug 3, 2011.

1. Simon@coralsworkshop

[email protected] Registered

i seem to remember reading a thread ages ago about a guy who used cement in his tank to aqua scape. i was just wandering if anyone knows anything about this.

is it just normal cement that you get from the builders merchant? just mix it with water or needs sand adding too it?

im thinking of making a large flat removable cement structure to use as a background instead of using alpha grog.

2. Javahart

Javahart Registered

I read that too, he mixed with sand, Coral sand and course sea salt. The sea salt then dissolves which leaves a pleasant looking rock.

I think it was cured in water for a month before use in marine tank.

I will try to find the thread.....

3. Javahart

Javahart Registered

4. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

That sounds like a good idea. Might use that in future!

5. Simon@coralsworkshop

cheers javahart. i read the whole thread, even the stupid argument :D i have a few ideas of my own on how i will approach this. my idea is not to make rocks but to make a few thin back panels with lumps of rock stuck in it. i think i may keep the cement to a minimum with a 4:1. i will probably use a mixture of coral sand with a little play sand to get a variety of grain size. im also thinking of making the mixture very dry, like screed. im thinking it will take a little longer to set to a stable strength initially but will ultimately make the final product more porous.

6. Neil

Neil Registered

One problem you may find if making it week is that it will disintegrate after a while

7. Neil

Neil Registered

8. Simon@coralsworkshop

cheers neil, that stuff looks amazing and would save me loads of time as i wouldnt need to cure it for a year before i could use it lol. it may be a bit pricey though, ive asked for a quote :D

9. Simon@coralsworkshop

a 4;1 should be stong enough but it will crumble if i move it too soon. im thinking of putting the mix onto a sheet of egg crate and then sticking rock on to of that with some wet cement.

10. Simon@coralsworkshop

btw m8, where did you get them new test kits?

11. Neil

Neil Registered

12. peerless

peerless Registered

You can build a tray from wood with the same foot print as the back of your tank. screw some sides to the sheet that is cut the size of the tank back.
    Bring the wood that forms the walls of the tray up about 5 inches to ensure nothing falls outside of the foot print.
    When you have your mix ready lay a 10 mm bed on the bottom of the tray and place a sheet of egg crate on top of the 10mm bed.
    Place more of your mix on top of the egg crate to cover it.
    Now you can place dry sand in random places (this will be removed later) then lay more mix over the dry sand making sure that the wet mix meets wet mix already laid down. That will create caves and give a 3D effect.
    Leave it to dry over night and then unscrew the sides and lift the background from the timber bottom.
    You will need to place it in a container big enough to take the whole structure, filled with water.
    You then jus have to choose the method you want to for curing it. Curing in this instance meaning waiting for it to stop leaching.

13. Simon@coralsworkshop

this was pretty much what i had in mind but just didnt go in to details. the clumps of sand to create little caves and pockets is a fantastic idea though, i hadnt thought of that :D

and yeah ill be curing it til the ph is down but i will probably not seed it as ill have a lot of live rock in the tank and sump anyway. ;)

14. Simon@coralsworkshop

ive had another idea. on my last build i used expanding foam. it looked a little bit crap until the coralline covered it, and with the sand and rocks stuck in it it looked part of the structure. im thinking i might use it again. last time i used it directley in the tank to cover egg crate and return piping. this time i think i might have a go at using it externally which will be much easier to manipulate.

my idea is to spray it on to a sheet of glass, splodge it about a bit and then chuck some sand and rocks into it. then when its set, wash it off and bung it straight it the tank. job done. :clap:

15. Neil

Neil Registered

IMHO in one word

Naff British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless

16. Simon@coralsworkshop

is that what you thought of my last tank then mate, because i had 2 large cans of it in there. ahh well, ill have fun proving you wrong ;)

17. Neil

Neil Registered

Yes you did but you also had 6" of sand over the top of it Hysterical

18. Simon@coralsworkshop

lol, no i didnt. it was all above the sand, you just couldnt see it because it looked so real:taunt:

im not talking of using this as a substitute for the rock but only as a glue to hold all the bits together (like last time) apart from the big flat bit in the middle that had all the mushies on. and i never really liked that bit. im going to have a go anyway and see what it look like Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice