1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Carbon in a freshwater aquarium

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by Wayne23uk, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Hi everyone I'm having problems keeping my freshwater tank clear due to my bog wood leaching even after soaking it, I'm think of putting carbon in my filtration to help it clear can anyone recommend a carbon for freshwater or something like chemi - pure elite

Thanks
    Wayne

2. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

I have also seen perigen not sure this will work tho what filtration do you you in your freshwater tanks?

3. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Any GAC will work

4. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

What's GAC?

5. JayTee

JayTee Registered

Granular activated carbon.

6. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Ok thanks would you keep this in permanently just refreshing every 4 weeks like in a reef?

7. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Every 4 weeks will be ok

8. rabbut

rabbut Registered

As others have said, any Granual Activated Carbon will work fine. I favoured New Era carbon for it's low dust, but it did/does cost considerably more than most other makes, whom are otherwise much in mushness. At first, you'll want to replace it every 4-7 days until the brown clears. After that, replace as it comes back. :smile:

Tannin (that brown stuff) is cosmetically not ideal for many and potentially an issue in very soft water areas, but there are some fish out there that like some in their water. It does lower pH and pull down Alkalinity, which is good news for most Amazonian or shallow pool drelling fish in harder water areas. :wink:

9. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Best way to clear tannins is puragin however if you use a tap safe with alovera it will clog the puragin I come from the topical side before changing to marine recently and I use to have gin clear water and I had loads of bog wood :)

10. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Well I have a product recommend to me from cockfields farm called clear fx pro which is basically perigen, carbon and phosphate remover all in one, cost £16 but can last upto 6 mouths in freshwater and upto 4 mouths in saltwater after leaving the tank overnight with it in it is now crystal clear water will just have to keep on testing and see how long it lasts now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice