1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Can I keep Anemone under t8

Discussion in 'Fish, Anemone's and Critters' started by zachu, Sep 14, 2011.

1. zachu

zachu Registered

:sign0016:
    Hi,
    I need your help :
    what anemone can i keep under Arcadia Marine White , 14000K, my tank is 35cm high.
    good if clownfish will like to host it.

Thanks

2. Crypto

Crypto Registered

I wouldn't.....an anemone is an ecologically important organism, I wouldn't risk its life.

3. zachu

zachu Registered

please tell me more about it

4. Crypto

Crypto Registered

An anemone is like a 'home' or 'refuge' for many animals. Clownfish as you know require an anemone for protection and reproduction. A lost anemone makes a clownfish potentially homeless. I do believe you will not find a clown without an anemone in the wild. Then there are other creatures such as shrimps, crabs, worms and some hawkfish. Some require the anemone for food, some for protection. Removal of an anemone from the wild could result in loss of many many organisms.

The same could be said for hard corals which provide refuge and food (polyps). However hardcorals are CITES listed which means only certain numbers can be taken, making it sustainable. Anemones are not listed and therefore any number can be removed.

A clownfish in an aquarium does not require an anemone....although an anemone may require a clownfish for food. The waste from a clownfish provides a nitrogen source for the anemones tissues. A clownfish does not even require an anemone to breed in an aquarium.

Then we have tank bred clownfish. This type of fish uses it sense of smell to seek out an anemone, but this could be lost down the captive reproductive line. A tank bred clownfish may never host an anemone.

The requirements of an anemone itself is high. It contains lots of its symbiotic algae zooxanthallae which provides it energy to grow. Lack of light causes it to go white and release this algae....putting it on the road to death. The anemone requires strong flow and thought to need lots of bacteria to feed its tissues.

All in all, I would save an anemone until its needs are suited. Once ready buy a captive available specimen.....many members can provide this when their anemone splits. Just think careful about instinct buying.....it may die, leading you to buy another.....and another........taking more and more out of the reef. A healthy anemone is thought to live for over 100 years.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. zachu

zachu Registered

how strong light does they need ( how many lux ) to grow this symbiotic zooxanthallae algae

6. Crypto

Crypto Registered

Difficult to answer in lux, but most consider 4 T5 lamps or a metal halide a minimum requirement.

7. zachu

zachu Registered

heh
    t5 and t8 is same, just different output in watts,
    4xt5 for 100l or 500l ??
    how do you calculating it without measurement device?

8. Crypto

Crypto Registered

T5 is high output....sometimes called T5HO. T8 is not to my knowledge.

4 bulbs is recommended. Wattage depends on the length of the tank:

39w - 3ft
    54w - 4ft
    80w - 5ft

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. zachu

zachu Registered

and you think it doesnt mater how deep tank is? you will get same amount of light at bottom?
    what if i will add some LED over the top of anemone? do you know how many LEDs will make NEM happy?

10. Crypto

Crypto Registered

Depth is an issue but as long as your tank isn't higher than 24 inches you shouldn't have a problem. Plus your anemone will move to were it feels 'happy'.

Couldn't answer on LED's. If that was to be employed it would have to be a recognised unit with ~1w per bulb.

11. zachu

zachu Registered

my tank is 35cm high and 3 ft long but i have only t8 14k K and few LEDs, but not high output. i am thinkin' to get Luminous green bubble tipped anemone and pair of maroons, may i keep it if I will feed it every couple days.

ps. I have Anemonia viridis at the moment but i have been told to let it go coz it's not tropical marine one

thanks for your all answeres

12. jennybugs

jennybugs Registered

Not with T8 lighting. You really will need a decent setup of at least 4xT5 lighting at the very least, preferably 6 T5 bulbs for a bubble tip anemone. They need high lighting as well as the occasional bit of food.

13. Realist

Realist Registered

T8 lights will not support a Nem.

14. peerless

peerless Registered

A single T8 is no good at all for anything but viewing. For the price of the Bubble tip and a pair of Maroons you can buy better lighting.

15. Nickthegreek

Nickthegreek Registered

16. zachu

zachu Registered

Do you know if any non-photo (non-photosynthetic) anemone exist?

17. fishkeepers

fishkeepers Registered

Nope, 4+t5s or halides or the equivalent in LEDs, or it will die let off a poison killing the rest of the tank I you dot find it befor it does this

18. alant

alant Registered

I have a ritteri anemone under 6 t5s & have had him 4yrs but he sits on the highest perch in the tank 4max light!about 6inch from surface.it hosts a pair of tomato clowns, which are paricularly rough with it.from what I know about marroons they are even more destructive & heavy handed.u would need the biggest bubble tip u could find which would still b risky 4 it to survive.they also from wat I've heard hav a tendancy 2wander behind rockwork & die from lack of light.

19. Nickthegreek

Nickthegreek Registered

There are non photosynthetic corals you can try but no nems, sun coral for example needs no light but needs lots of feeding.

20. Crazy4Marines

Crazy4Marines Registered

An anemone is a big step in a tank, they are very demanding are there are not certain parameters or a defined need for them as all are different.
    You really need to understand them in great detail, whether it be malu, bubble, carpet or ritteri nem. You can watch them and they will tell you what they need and if theyre not happy.

I personally wouldnt have nems in my tanks without halides, this gives you the High output lighting and the nem can find its spot up and around the tank to where it is getting what it needs, if you only have low lighting the nem will wander constantly looking for more light and probably just deteriorate slowly and then possibly break down very quickly, all anemones can turn inside out in a matter of a few hours if they have become sick.

It sounds harsh but a nem under T8 will simply die and possibly take other livestock with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice