1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Can I exceed dosing instructions for no3poX

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by leopardshark, Nov 22, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I've been using nopox for about a year, and I have never really achieved zero nitrate know I'm already dosing the maximum that it states on the instructions, could I increase it a little just to see if it's got any beneficial effects?

I've never seen my nitrite below 5ppm

And I'm skimming as wet as I can.

2. Eaval

Eaval Registered

I assume you meant nitrate. If its nitrite you got issues!

The question is can your tank cope with the extra nopox? There is only one way to find out and that to try it ... slowly!

However you might also want to consider due you need nitrates lower than 5ppm? Also are you feeding too much or overstocked thats causing the problem.

Lastly ... are you phosphate limited?

3. warby

warby Registered

One problem I see with this is 0 nitrate isn't good. Corals need some nitrate and phosphate for growth. Most people try to hold it around 2ppm.

And as above nopox needs phos to lower nitrate I'm equal to the redfield ratio.

4. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I feed a lot because I have butterflyfish I may be slightly overstocked but I've always been around 5/10 ppm nitrate ...

I was wondering if I could increase nopox incrementally say by 1 ml like what folk usually do with vodka dosing ...

5. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Would you not be better of looking at say a pellet reactor I have quite a bit of stock and I'm around the 2.5ppm mark.

I looked at no pox in the early days but decided to go with a reactor and has worked out well :)

6. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I only have s 3 chamber sump ... And not enough power sockets lol else yes I think ! I would

7. Martyh

Martyh Registered

You can run a pellet reactor external the TMC 500 one and just add an extra socket :)

8. trout

trout Registered

Why is this reading worrying you? Is this level of nitrates causing any issues, such as algae, loss of coloration on corals, or? If there are no issues, then you simply chase numbers for no reason.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  9. warby

warby Registered

I personally wouldn't worry mine are around 10ppm at the moment iv just taken my bio pellets off as I'm going down the big skimmer and live rock for filteration.
    All my corals appear fine (sps and lps) no loss of colour with them.

If you do decide to go down the pellet route my reactor/pump and pellets are for sale on here if your interested.

10. CEECH

CEECH Registered

As said above i think 5 ppm is just fine you corals need some. 0 p04 and Nitrate is not good from what i have read. Mine is usually between 5-10 and p04 0.002 or less. I use the dosage stated. I have started to use a new product instead of NOpox to see how it does.
    Aqua forest NP Pro and Aquaforest Pro Bio S.
    Basically they help growth of probiotic bacteria and the Pro Bio is to transform phosphate and nitrates to a biomass which can be easily removed by the skimmer or consumed by corals. I also use there Probiotic Reef Salt which Contains vitamins and amino acids. So far i have noticed the corals look much more colourful and are very happy but early days yet. Will do an update in a month or so and see how i think it is preforming.

11. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Only really because I put some sps coral in a hysterix Which turned white cause of a faulty heater I put it right and it turned brown ... I'm not even sure if it will come back ... Then I put a desalwii acropora in that lost colour and has gone brown ... That doing well ( j think ) keeps putting out stringy stuff ( coral mucous)
    I want to revive them if poss .. But with no3 as high as 10 ppm I'm not smiling

12. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I may try that aqua forest reef salt sounds good

13. warby

warby Registered

Browning out is more to do with po4 then nitrate from what iv seen. My nitrate is 10ppm and take a look at the pics up just posted on my tank thread this morning.

My po4 went to 0.1 a while back and things went brown dropped it back down to 0.02-3 and they coloured back up.

Do you use any phos removal media?

What teat kit do you use for po4?

14. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Yes rowaphos my po4 is at currently 0.03

15. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Highest it was on the 4th Nov it was 0.25

16. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Do you think the sps will regain its colour????!!

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

i can let you know how i get on with the Probiotic Reef Salt but i have heard only good things about it.
    Lots of people around me are using it now and the marine store and the coral look amazing.

18. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Yeah trying to source some online where do you buy it ceech do they have a website???

19. warby

warby Registered

Po4 at 0.25??? That's high and I would say that's why your corals have browned out.
    They will regain colour but it takes alot longer to regain colour then it does to loose colour. Some corals take months to regain colour and that's only if your params stay good.

What test kit do you use for po4?
    And how do you know when to change your rowaphos? Or do you just do it every x amount of weeks?

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

@AquaforestUK on here used to deal with it from looking through posts on here.
    I live in Norway and my local marine store have it as a new product. Seems to be flying out the door.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice