1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Can I Ask For Some Help Please - Algae Issues

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Goldie, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Goldie

Goldie Registered

I am wondering how to explain my problem, but hope you can offer some help on the solution please?

Back in summer I had an issue with my RO machine. I'm a numpty. I was trying to sort out my somewhat neglected tank and decided it was time to replace the membranes on the RO machine. I did this, but somehow managed to put the membranes on the wrong way round. To add to my woes, the RO machine was outside and developed green algae. I was struggling to understand why my tank had become completely overrun with algae until the chap at LFS looked at my machine. Unfortunately, because I was time limited and struggling with lots of things at once, I hadn't been testing the water and TDS were in the 100's (I know how awful this sounds).

Armed with a large siphon lent to me by LFS I then embarked on sucking all of the algae I could get out of the tank and doing water changes. I am finding however that it is coming back just as strong and would like some advice on what to do from here.

My readings are as follows:
    Mag 1275
    Calcium 415
    Phos 0,50
    Nitrate @45
    KH 12.5
    PH @8.1
    Salinity is still too low - but I'm trying to raise this by topping up with salty water too ....is this wrong?

My levels of Mag and Calcium are low I know .....they were so low they weren't readable in the summer though.

My fish seem fine, as do the softies I have.
    My cleanup crew, save for 1 turbo, perished way back and I need to know also at what level its safe enough to reintroduce them...as otherwise its a bit of a vicious circle.

As you can see, its a bit of a mess - hope you can advise the best place to start to pull this back.

The tank is 6 foot, live rock with sump under, sand bed with cheato on top and skimmer.
    The algae is a dense hair type algae - rather like moss

Thanks in advance.

Gail

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Is the ro sorted?
    I'd go for some 10% water changes to get the nitrates down a bit then add cuc

I'd try a sea hare

Goldie likes this.
  3. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Thank you.
    I think the RO is sorted now - been doing changes and also topping with saltwater...to try to get salinity up.
    I was thinking my KH is really high.
    How low do you think my nitrates should be before adding CUC?
    Aren't sea hare sensitive? Do you think a goby would benefit at this stage?
    Gail

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Kh is within acceptable range
    What is your current salinity?

I'd aim for about 20

Fish will be happy in much higher

5. Afonso

Afonso Registered

What you using to control your phosphate? Water changes alone won't help sorting the issue, what's your feeding habits? A picture would be a good way to help you to as we could see what we dealing with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Personally I would keep doing water changes whilst using a good phosphate remover , this will sort out the salinity issue a bit quicker, get rid of phosphate and bring down your nitrate.

I wouldn't worry about the rest of your readings YET as these will be off until you sort out your salinity , once salinity is sorted then test for the rest and slowly sort them out, There is nothing wrong with using salted water as your top up water ( actually its a good way of doing it )

I wouldn't be surprised if you have been feeding your rock with the high TDS water over the summer and now its leaching back out of the rocks so will take time and patience but you will get there in the end.

7. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Thank you for your replies and help.

I have a Red Sea phosphate remover but haven't been using it whilst doing the water changes - I'll start with it again.
    Did another container full of clean water today and popped it in, and tried to siphon at little more of the algae out. As you can see from the pic its a mess.
    My salinity is still low - was last measured at about 32...though Ive tried to test it now and the refractometer won't work ...guess it will need natural light ?

Attached Files:

8. Vix

Vix Registered

Rowaphos in a reactor will soon clear your phosphates and nopox will sort out your nitrates but only if you have sorted the root cause, as in high tds which you have done. When your salinity, PO4 and No3 levels are right and you can stop doing water changes for a couple of weeks try this. Buy some fluconazole from the states, mix 10 capsules, you may need more for the size of your tank (empty the capsules into a glass and add some ro to mix into a paste then dilute with more ro), put it in the tank, remove any carbon and take your skimmer off for a week. Within three weeks the algae should be gone. I did it with mine, the results are amazing. Research it, there's loads on YouTube, its the latest treatment, I didn't lose any livestock it's like a miracle. I've now got some in the cupboard and wouldn't hesitate to use it again, even on a regular twice a year basis depending on the level of algae. I would say that during treatment clean out your water movement pumps regularly as they do get gunked up.

Goldie and Afonso like this.
  9. Staypuft

Staypuft Registered

All of the above but now your root cause is sorted out it will take time to balance again.
    One thing I didn’t see mentioned is your lighting - what do you have and what schedule do you have? Also, do you have a lot of natural light from outside on the tank?
    Possibly cold comfort but I have had major algae issues in the past for the same reasons as you - a ‘friend’ was giving me RO and saltwater from his RO to help me but tap water had lower phos levels than his RO - that was 5 yrs ago and took months to clear but it it did clear... don’t give up!!

Goldie likes this.
  10. Goldie

Goldie Registered

I don't know what rowaphos is so will go and research that thanks.
    My lights are LED thingies - I bought them a couple of years ago - upgrades from maxspect...cant remember what the name of the company is ...Redsun or something similar? They are on the custom preset. Yes, there is a lot of natural light too - window in the little room housing the tank is right opposite, and its the front of the house which really catches the sun, and theres also a window to the side....but thats always been the position and the tank has been in situ since 2011.
    I do appreciate the advice - I realise that the tank has gotten into an awful mess due to other things happening and it not receiving the attention it deserves but hopefully I will get it sorted :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice