• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

calling all photographers

jim_fitz

Admin
Staff member
View attachment 117539

Im ready to start a tank thread but cant take a dcent photo to save my life

ive even played around with it on gimp but it just never looks right

does any one have any good tips or links to an idiots guide etc

thanks in advance

cheers

Jim

maxwell

Registered
Jim
Im not a photographer and learning as i go and finding taking pics of a tank/corals hard. What kit are you using , the basic principles are use a tripod ,remote shutter,macro lens, keep the room dark etc. set WB and use a top down lens unit several on market ( ive not used one yet as im waiting for it to arrive).Post a full tank shot so that experts on here can give a better opinion.

Bill

jim_fitz

Admin
Staff member
thanks Bill

its an olympus sp-810uz

the keeping the room dark sounds a good idea though

i have the white balance set at cloudy ? not sure if this is correct under the flourescent option (i iuse leds) it looks very blue

maxwell

Registered
thanks Bill

its an olympus sp-810uz

the keeping the room dark sounds a good idea though

i have the white balance set at cloudy ? not sure if this is correct under the flourescent option (i iuse leds) it looks very blue

Jim
Try the Auto WB ,f11 -16 at 1/250 for daytime shots for a start .If still not happy if there is a PRE WB mode set it using a white/grey card method ( there will be some vids on youtube ). Thats the best i can offer as i am using a nikon d7000 and not familiar with olympus .There is no quick method its a matter of practice and logging the results.On the other forum there is a guy called Alistair who knows his stuff and well worth asking ( also Mick user Chopsie).

Bill

Mick

Registered
If I can help I will.
Pick a coral, take a picture and I may be able to talk you through some settings.
Setting up the WB first would help unless your going to shoot in raw and adjust with software.

Mick

jim_fitz

Admin
Staff member
hi Mick and Bill

thanks for your advice will take some more shortly
not sure that i can shoot in the raw format just think its jpeg though will have to confirm that

maxwell

Registered
hi Mick and Bill

thanks for your advice will take some more shortly
not sure that i can shoot in the raw format just think its jpeg though will have to confirm that

Jim
Mine are in jpeg ,i have just set the WB using a grey card and straight from the camera with no processing. Im not saying they are any good as im still playing with the settings but the advice given by Mick and Alistair on the basics was spot on(you wont see any better than Micks pics).

View attachment 117609View attachment 117610View attachment 117611View attachment 117612View attachment 117613View attachment 117614View attachment 117615View attachment 117616View attachment 117617View attachment 117618View attachment 117619View attachment 117620View attachment 117621

jim_fitz

Admin
Staff member
[MENTION=19376]maxwell[/MENTION] thanks i will follow there advice

i do think yours are quite good and please keep me informed of any developments

i recently suffered a wipe out so have had to restock and would love to be able to successfully photograph the coral growth

brisinger

Registered
I always take mine at an angle to the tank to stop it mirroring.
If you are going to use an image editor like GIMP then save your files in png format as it's a 'lossless' compression protocol.
If your camera can take RAW format then you should get a better picture because it's taking the equivalent to a negative rather than processing a lossy compression on the fly. It may be a large image when you save it but once you've uploaded it to your computer you can export it in png and not lose and detail unlike jpeg's lossy compression and make the file considerably smaller. If you choose to take your photos in jpg then it's still worth exporting it as png so you don't lose any more image data.