1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Call the Tang Police

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by benmcfadden, Mar 12, 2011.

1. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

I know what you mean my old south American tank was overstocked and over filtered but it work. I had the most amazing Flowerhorn ever. You should have seen the size of it's kok

Ooh ello

2. AndyGordon

AndyGordon Article Co-Ordinator

Quite often there is a right and wrong answer, it's just that if the answer isn't what someone wants to hear they'll often make all kinds of excuses to carry on doing things the way that suits them.

3. FlameAngel

FlameAngel Registered

true as im sure no one has came into this hobby with their eyes closed..if you research a fish,coral,invert well enough before purchase then the tang police will be no more...as well as all the other ppl who like to tell us what to do.
    :batman:

4. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

We should start a squad to counter-act the police. Pro-Tangs. Free the tangs from the shops.

5. Steve83

Steve83 Registered

Is that not the point of the tang police ?

6. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

ROFL Steven, nice to see you at this time of the day. Im just at work. Why are you up so early ?

I meant free them into Nano tanks ? haha im tired, its early,

7. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

Some poor tro||ing by me in here, it's a very old habit that resurfaces every so often and doesn't really have a place on here imo. Will stick to proper posting from now on.

:sorry: smiley-sex020

8. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

Feel free to Troll away. The Troll police may get you though

9. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

10. marinefreak

marinefreak Registered

long thread and dont know if its been said..... Husky in a rabbit hutch??

Tangs have a 'swim' glide'swim' 'glide' swimming pattern. If they are interupted during this pattern they could become stressed and frustrated..Hense making them even more prone to disease, bleeching of colour and even stunting growth..

Im not saying you cant...Your tank...your choice but look into the swimming patterns and not just compatibility or reef safe..:thumbup1:

IMO... i wouldnt put one in a tank that length..Not a tang police officer, just care for the wellfair of ALL the fish in my tank:biggrin:

11. Kev

Kev Registered

I kept a smallish yellow tang in a 20" cube for nearly 3 years, they are slow growing. The fish was in perfect shape, nice, plump and very colourful.

You could stick a YT in a six footer, but if its jam packed with lr the fish has no swimming space anyway?

Several Tangs in a 6 foot system will likely be more stressed than one small YT in a 20" cube with all of the potential fighting that can occur.

12. marinefreak

marinefreak Registered

You could stick a YT in a six footer, but if its jam packed with lr the fish has no swimming space anyway?

Several Tangs in a 6 foot system will likely be more stressed than one small YT in a 20" cube with all of the potential fighting that can occur.[/QUOTE]

That were all the planning and head scratching cmes in at the start Even with all that plannin ive still got things wrong!Hysterical

13. Kev

Kev Registered

lol. thats life!!!

14. marinefreak

marinefreak Registered

Tell me about it!..Costly tho!:lol:

15. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

Everyone is going to make mistakes at first. I guess that's where we all learn from.

16. marinefreak

marinefreak Registered

What ya mean at first??..Im still making them 4 years down the line!Hysterical

Thats what i love about marine fish keeping...You just never stop learning:thumbup1:

17. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

just thought i would add my 2p worth.

for the record i would never have a tang in our tank. there is nowhere near enough room for them and its cruel. and so are the people who keep them.

as regarding cleaner wrasses. they should be left in the ocean where they can clean fish and eat their natural diet. the Hawaiian cleaner wrasse has a 0.5% survival rate in aquariums. (most die within a week.) they solely live on parasites from fish and will clean up to 2500 fish a day in the wild. how on earth can people expect them to survive in a aquarium?

This i just my opinion and you wont find any tangs or Hawaiian cleaner wrasses in my tank:rolleyes:

18. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Haha I was gonna say have you guys had a bump on the head or something :)

19. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

thats what i love about this hobby. if 100 people had the same tank and were given £1000 to spend of livestock every single one would be completley different.
    ged with 20 tangs
    durkin with a wall of acans
    brothermarki with 1 £1000 fish
    screwloose with £1000 of frags
    paul scott with loads of price tags

:taunt:HystericalHystericalHysterical:taunt:

20. benmcfadden

benmcfadden Registered

lol:eek::eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice