1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Byrdie's Boyu TL550 - Total Noob jump in any time

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Byrdie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi everyone,

After reading a few different threads on here I made my mind up to buy a Boyu TL550, there were a few reason but one of the main ones is that I can make good mods to it in future if I want to, I would of loved a much bigger tank but I can't keep it as I am doing this myself, and the nano tanks that I was looking at was a bit too small to accommodate both fish and corals, so I compromised :-d

I may get a nano in the future for my bed room as I spend a lot of time in there and I think that a small one would fit nicely on my bedside table - but that is for the future.

I haven't taken any pics of it as yet as there is only salt water in there and we all know how interesting that is :lol:

I need to get lr for Sunday and I have order some live sand for the bottom, also just ordered a wave make 3000 lph and I will get another one that is much smaller for the bottom/back of the tank soon.

I read on other threads that it is best to ditch the guts of the filter system and replace with lr rubble and phosphate, just wondering if I need to get some carbon in there as well as I can't see any sort of carbon filter in there.

I am not sure if I have too much water in the tank :whistling: only the weir at the back is the same level as the water in the front of the tank and I am not sure if this is right??

Any comments/questions/observations is welcome

2. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

From a fellow Boyu 550 owner it's good to have you on here and it'll be interesting to see this develop.

Check out my thread for comments on the removal of stock items and what to replace with and where though this is slightly different with everyone.

My water level is the same height in the first 3 chambers as the main tank. Only the 4th chamber with the return pump is slightly lower.

My only other advice is that this thread needs moving to the "Nano" section Big Thumbs Up

3. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi Paul,

This maybe a bit of a shock to you but after reading a lot of threads it was yours that inspired me to get the boyu and I love your clowns and the way you have got your tank just hope mine eventually looks just as good. I don't know how to move the thread to the nano section, Cdurnkin (Chris) told me to put the thread here cause it is 32 gal tank.

Cheers
    Byrdie :wave:

4. PaulM

Well I thank you for the very kind compliment about my tank. It's been on the go now for nearly 2 years and I'm sure you've read the thread and have many ideas for your own.

I'm sure the Boyu at 125ltrs is just above 27 UK Gallons but I could be wrong.

Looking forward to some pics and watching yours develop as mine has :smile:

5. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Thanks Paul,

Just trying to decide what I want in it now lol can't wait to get started. I have read that being a noob it is best to start off with the softies and not the harder corals, I have bought a couple of books and am waiting for them to arrive, feeling so excited all the time that it is making sleep hard to achieve - not that I sleep very much anyway and I want a small nano for my bedroom, going to keep on my bedside cabinet so I can see it all the time.

Any suggestions for my first corals, there are a few that I really like but don't know what they are called lol

Cheers

6. PaulM

Did you buy the tank new ? If not change the lights before you do anything like adding corals unless you know the age of the lights.

Mine is stocked with softies as listed in my signature. Mushrooms will give you plenty of different colour options and spread easily with Xenia and GSP taking over if not properly kept in check.

If you were a little closer, and not the length of the M62 away I'd have given you a few frags to get started with.

I would write a list of corals you fancy and then visit a few lfs's to get prices. Most will do you a discount when buying a few together so bear that in mind.

7. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Yes we bought the tank new its is just over a week old, I will prob get some frags of the reefers that are closer to me and yes if you were closer m8 I would be round for a brew and a view lol I could of scared the rug rats for ya Hysterical

Cheers

8. PaulM

That means the lighting is fine so when your parameters are ok you can start stocking slowly Big Thumbs Up

Remember to change your lights at least every 12 months as they start to loose quality around the 10 month mark.

You could have looked after one of my rugrats today as he's off with sickness and diahorrea which kept me up most of last night. I'd have made you a brew before legging it :lol:

9. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

smiley-sex020 no legging it lol. Poor baby are they all right? I hate it when they are sick, got my Grand daughter coming on Fri she will be here for the weekend so let the fun begin she is lovely and is 4 yrs - we took here to the fish shop when we went to get the tank and in the lfs thre is a marine tank that you see when you first go in and she screamed at the top of her lungs "Nemo, Dora" everyone in the shop turned round to look at us, then she started dragging me over to see them. They certainly keep you young m8.

Cheers

10. PaulM

He was fine today and back to school thanks. I'm on a week off so loving the peace and quiet for a few hours every day Big Thumbs Up

Answered your PM and pic of Arcadia LED in situ can be seen below. Pointed at the reflector it gives a soft moonlight after main moonlights go out.

[​IMG]

11. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi Paul,

Glad your lads back to normal and out of your hair lol. My hubby could with some time off work to let his back recover, he is working long hard hours. I have got one of them spotlight things upstairs in my loft so will have to shivvy him up there when he gets in (won't he be happy lol) I ordered the twin led strip that I showed you yesterday as they are going in the lid and will be well away from the water. The moonlights in the tank are crapola why they even bothered to put them in is a wonder :icon_rolleyes:

Do you put any calcium or kalk in your tank? and do you have a calcium reactor thingy as I am no good at the chemistry side of it I will get the book by John H Tullock - understanding water chemistry for your saltwater aquarium or something like that.

My lr arrived on Tues so it is in the tank now just chucked it in and been checking other tank threads to see what ideas that I get, my ro unit is arriving tomorrow so that should be fun to install. I feel like a little kid atm lol

Cheers

12. PaulM

Must admit the stock moonlights are pants :lol:

I don't add anything at all. Regular, bi-weekly, 20% water changes have kept me fine for the last 2 years as the fresh salted contains everything needed.

I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and though there are others available I find it works for me in this set up.

Get the circulation going in your tank to help the cycle now you have lr in.

You could always pop a pic up Big Thumbs Up

13. barracuda

barracuda Registered

LOL Feel a bit rude posting inbetween you two's :love4:
    As paul says regular water changes will keep on top of things,
    be good to see some pics too. :thumbup1:

14. PaulM

Yes indeed Barra "How very rude" Hysterical

15. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hysterical Barra smiley-sex020 naughty naughty naughty.

I have got stuff growing in the tank today well I noticed a bit last night and i am not sure what it is, in fact there are a couple of things growing in there when my hubby gets home I will use his phone to get a quick pic and post it, I haven't posted any pics yet cause I just chucked the rock in for now so it didn't die too much so no aquascaping as of yet, going to do that sometime over the weekend.

Waiting for my RO unit to arrive today then the fun will begin when we try to plumb the thing in ha ha ha.

Cheers

16. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

17. avangels

avangels Registered

need to get rid of those things you have growing Byrdie they are aips and majano's by the look of them :(

18. PaulM

As above and confirmed in your ID thread Byrdie Big Thumbs Up

19. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Yeah thanks guys,

I am going to take Barra's advice and burn the little buggers off my rocks, well I am not I will get himself to do it can't be risking my good typing fingers now can I :lol:

Cheers

20. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

ok finally got my RO unit in and no leaks - well there was at first but on none of the fittings that I did :lol: so now just running it for 2 hours to disburse the water bubble and get the pressure up to speed. I figure out how to put the inline TDS meter on hehehe HWIUTT was not best pleased Big Thumbs Up
    so can actually run some good RO tomorrow and hwiutt will have to go to the PO to pick up my Gerry's, good job I ordered a mixing bucket for the salt otherwise I wouldn't have anything to use. So happy happy happy for now anyway.

Had to hold off on burning my pest till tomorrow, there is only so much that you can expect a man who is working 10 hours on a Sat to be able to do, besides it will give me something to torture him with tomorrow Hysterical

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice