1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured buckshaw reef osaka 155

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by icemandave, Dec 7, 2011.

1. icemandave

icemandave Registered

hello all

Been a member for while now and after a year with a 60ltr marine tank it was time to update my tank.
    After looking around i came across the fluval osaka 155 it was perfect for my needs and looks ace. tank swap over was fine with little stress ;-) . I have had tank running for two month now and all is fine got a bit of algee to deal with but its going slowly. last week i got a iquatics 6xt5 light unit and wow what a diffrence thats made. I do around 15% water change every weekend to keep on top of things.

item list:
    Fluval osaka 155
    Fluval 205 ex filter
    Fluval 200w heater
    Tmc UV unit
    Tmc Skimmer
    iquatics 6xt5 light unit

Fish:
    2x tank breed clown fish
    1x firefish
    2x Lyretail anthias
    1x cleaner shrimp
    1x pep shrimp
    9x hermit crabs
    12x Snails

and coral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. icemandave

icemandave Registered

some more photos made a lid for my tank last night due to having a new cat i will take some photos and post tomorrow any comments welcome

[​IMG]

Spike the firefish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of my fav photos from last night
    [​IMG]

some of the pictures where taken with the old 2xt5 but the close up on the fish where done when new light was fitted

3. jennybugs

jennybugs Registered

The tank looks nice. How much live rock is in there? How much evaporation do you have to top up with that light unit?

4. icemandave

icemandave Registered

Thanks evaporation not that bad i will say 1ltr a week but due to me doing a water change every week its not that much of a problem but since the lid has gone on it does not seem to be as much evaporation. Live rock off the top of my head am not sure due to me swapping and adding from my old tank am going to pick up a couple more live rock this weekend this tank is far from finshed. going to make a zoa garden down the bottom right to make a cove effect with a few ric's in there.

5. RichardT

RichardT Registered

Nice looking Osaka, I've the same tank in my office I must be doing something different as I get 1-2 litres of evaporation a day, lol

6. icemandave

icemandave Registered

Put a lid on it that seems to work. I have come home tonight and there at most 1mm diff in water level from yesterday

7. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

I lose a lot through evaporation but I'm using a MH. Tank looks good mate I like the less rock look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. icemandave

icemandave Registered

there will be more rock in time. Am building it up one rock at a time filling that rock with coral then moving on up. but as you all know i will go out one weekend and buy more coral than i have rock ha ha.

9. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

True, always end up with something totally different from what I wanted!

10. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

Oh and nice fish choices I really like the fire fish

11. icemandave

icemandave Registered

thats the wife's fish now when i got it she was like not another fish now she love it to bits ha ha took some picture of the lid and light unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. markalex

markalex Registered

tank looks great,like the less rock look too.How you finding the anthias,would love to get some but heard they need alot of feeding?

13. icemandave

icemandave Registered

mine have been in there for 2 month now and they feed ok i put a bag of live food in the tank before i go to work in the morning and a mix of food at night. both look in good health and dont fight with other fish over food i did make sure they where eatting frozen food before i got them and kept to the same feeding as the shop did. they are great looking fish but i think three is a max in this tank.

14. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

Where did you get the backing from? I'm looking for something like that for my upgrade

15. icemandave

icemandave Registered

a few places sell it but i have seen in on ebay for like £2 buy it now. i got mine from a garden centre near where i worked 6 month ago. how are you finding your coral beauty in your tank it one of the fish on my list to get but not sure if i get it now or as a last fish.

16. jennybugs

jennybugs Registered

I get the same. I had the same issues even with a perspex lid on the tank and that's only running 4x24W T5's. I do have alot of surface movement though which could be a trigger.

That lid looks nicer than mine did as I used just 3mm perspex from work :lol:

17. icemandave

icemandave Registered

4mm that is took me and a friend 1 hour and a few cuts on the fingers sand down the edges had to leave 2 inch at the back of pumps etc. just gives me peace of mind with cat and fish that jump

18. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

Coral beauty is fine, hasn't nipped at anything or bullied any of my other fish. If your going to get one (not to insult your intelligence) have a good look around as there is a few variations in the colour, paler more orange more blue like mine and a few other differences.

19. icemandave

icemandave Registered

will do how old is yours and what size? where do they go at night do they need a cave?

20. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

I've had her for just over a year and about 2.5 inch. At night she gets herself away between the rocks at the back mini cave I suppose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice