1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Brown Covering

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by phil hunter, Oct 14, 2018.

1. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

Good morning ive just returned from holiday to discover a brown coating on my sand and patches of it on the glass. Anyone know what this is and how to eradicate it other than cleaning the glass and stirring up the sand so its filtered away ? ive yet to check my parameters but noticed the temp had crept up to 30 degrees which I've addressed . could this be the issue ? My fish seem fine and the anemones I have are ok also but a toadstool and a finger coral don't look too clever .
    any advice/guidance appreciated

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

how old is the tank ?

3. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

it's a new set up been cycling about 8 weeks now . I'm struggling to keep a good constant temperature have to keep turning heater on and off as required so temp fluctuating . wonder if this as any bearing on it ?

4. Landshark

Landshark Registered

5. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Could be diatoms
    Will go through a lot of changes until it matures
    This can take months

6. McPikie

McPikie Registered

Yep, highly recommend getting a temp controller. They are cheap enough. Also, what flow do you have in the tank?

7. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

have just ordered a temp control unit so I have 2 hydro koralia wavemakers in the tank that come on alternately every 5 seconds . I've place them quiet high up in the tank either side of a reef wall I've constructed running along the full length of the tank . on the other side of the tank is my return spray bar which is also pushing the water about . I don't seem to have any dead spots in the tank as this brown dust covers most of my sand bed . my tank is 3ft long x 3ft deep x 2ft wide 500litres . As this is a newish setup I'm hoping this will go in time as the tank matures ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice