1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Brooklynella disease - Pics to identify

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by MarkR, Oct 9, 2013.

1. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

Dont worry too much about the flat worms, its becaue no fish there to eat the food. I am getting a feeling you are over feeding the DT if
    the flatoworms are getting worser.

But if you wanted to use the flat worm exit, now is the best time as you have no fish in there.

It will all balance out once the fish return.

good luck with everything.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I am only feeding the tank once a week and very little at that. The population has reduced and is no way near as bad so it is improving.

Only thing that is getting worse is the Neomeris annulata, but hopefully this will improve once the fallow period is over.
    View attachment 104128

3. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Medication now complete (again). I have put a new poly-filter in and new carbon. I haven't cleaned anything else within the filter other than doing a large water change, hope this is ok?

Fingers crossed all will be good now, I am certain that everything has been kept separate from the DT tank.

4. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well 3 days on and one of the Clown's is gasping and not eating again. I know for certain that things have not been cross contaminated. I am going to leave it till the morning as the other clown seems to be ok. I will try a different treatment if symptoms persist :(

5. FmJames

Not what I wanted to hear, I am baffled really. Formalin every time it is used has been so effective that I don't understand what
    is going on here?? I am suspecting maybe its not brook.

I need to think this through.

Now if you really wanted to try is formalin + formalin dips. If the clown is not looking good tomorrow and you suspect brook, then try dipping him.

But mark, honestly it could very well be another disease, as brook is quite visible on the second day if it gets that far.

or you could try acrilflavin or chloroquine phosphate. I don't have any experience with chloroquine phosphate but do with acrilflavin and it
    has been effective for me. Acrilflavin is quite slow treatment and chloroquine phosphate is a 28 day treatment I believe.

really sorry to hear this mate :)

if there is any consolation to you, I once had to quarantine a fish for almost 9 months because of a parasitic infection which would not
    respond to treatment that was baffling me that turned out to be a contagious but harmless ( mostly) virus.

Could you tell me please how much formalin you are dosing to what tank volume please.
    How are you storing it? did you buy it fresh? do you see any white specs/solids in the formalin liquid when you using it?

I will get back to you tomorrow.

6. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well this morning they both seem fine and look healthy. I did put just a shot of Formalin in (only 5ml) just in case. I didn't strip the filter down as I had to get to bed as I was up at 3am. Maybe I am just so paranoid that whenever I see one them gasping and acting abnormal I think it is the disease returning?

I think next time, unless I see the skin change colour, I will just ride it through.

My tank volume must be just under 100 litres, think it is about 90 litres. On the last dosing sessions I have been dosing between 7.7 and 8ml.

7. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Just an update, both look fine and have been all day. Hopefully yesterday was a false alarm.

8. FmJames

glad to hear mate. keep me informed :)

and if you dont mind spending might be good time to buy some acrilflavin NT labs and Chloroquine phosphate just encase you
    want to treat asap.

9. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks for everything, all seems to be good a few days on :)

Just out of curiosity what do these treatments do and when would be best to use them?

10. FmJames

sorry mate for the late reply,

they are just for alternative treatment for brooklynella :)

but since everything seems fine, you don't have a problem any more

glad everything is good now, let me know if you have any other problems.

11. bluefish

bluefish Registered

I lost a couple of fish to brooklynella. The affected fish that didn't die were given a dip in ro water daily for about 5 days. after that time i couldn't catch them and they all made a full recovery. I also installed a uv steriliser at the same time. Since then any new additions to my tank get a dip in ro before going in and not had any problems.

12. FmJames

unfortunately you routine is not sufficient enough to deal with brook. Brooklynella is fast acting disease that requires very specific medicated routine
    to deal with it.

unfortunately, dipping fish before they go into a system does nothing for disease preventions such as brook, velvet or marine ich.

13. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks for all your help it really has been appreciated. Fish couldn't be happier. Just about onto week 9 so not much longer to go Big Thumbs Up

14. FmJames

No problem mate, hope everything goes well from this point on for you.

currently I am battling to keep some fish in quarantine alive, they contracted multiple disease concurrently which severely complicated
    treatment also i seem to have a strain of ich which is resisting specific gravity of 1.009SG, what a nightmare.

hope you had a good Christmas

all the best mate :)

15. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well thats it, the wait is over. I put the pair of Clowns and pair of Firefish back in the DT today. Will put the Yellow Tang back in this time next week.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back :whistling:

How are you getting on with yours now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice