1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Brooklynella disease - Pics to identify

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by MarkR, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Very confused about the filter configuration but if I read correctly I will put the ceramics in the bottom as you suggest, Carbon in the middle and polyfilter at the top? Is this correct.

How are the Clowns now and what did you do in the way of medication.

2. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

that is correct :)

3. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Medication is now complete. Made a large water change and added carbon and polyfilter and all seems to be good.

So about de-worming :whistling:

4. FmJames

Sorry been so busy,

you want something called fluke solve, its a powder that is basically soluble praziquantel by weight 50%.
    The normal treatment is 2ppm for 24 hours and then repeat the treatment in 7 days time. You just add the powder to the tank
    it dissolves very quick and smells like sherbet also you want to clean the tank bottom and all filter after the treatment is over. Can
    be removed with carbon very easily and some large water changes. you want to buy a jewellers scale that measures in the 10g
    or 100g scale as you need such a small amount for this.

I cant remember how much of my head fluke solve powder to add to get 2ppm but will let you know during the week.
    Please give the fish a weeks rest at minimum and then next treatment.

hope everything is going good :)

5. MarkR

MarkR Registered

6. Sam_

Sam_ Registered

That's the stuff mark, sorry to butt in but you can get it really cheap on eBay, just be sure to check out the "use by date" :)

7. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks Sam, will give it a look Big Thumbs Up

8. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well all was going well until tonight :(

I noticed that one of my Clowns is laying on his side and gasping for air where the other clown seems to be all over it and nudging it etc...... There are no markings on the body and both clowns look healthy. All parameters are perfect. They were feeding fine earlier. Could this be normal behaviour?

9. MarkR

MarkR Registered

He is hiding underneath the Heater now. I have now turned the lights off and have a feeling he won't make it through the night

10. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Just taken out the polyfilters and have dosed some formalin in the tank. Will find out in the morning if he survives.

11. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well I expected to come down to a dead fish but am pleased to say that it looks like he is now back to normal. Don't know if this was down to the Formalin dose I done last night. I think I will do another dose tonight to be safe.

12. Sam_

Sam_ Registered

Good to hear it mark :)

13. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I dont know if this was normal behaviour or not with the way the clown was acting last night. I think it might be best for me to do another dose tonight even though they look fine now. What do you think?

Only thing was I forgot to remove the carbon bag when I done treatment. I only remembered this morning :frustrated:

14. FmJames

Hi mark,

this sounds like three possibilities,

1) it was something totally not related to Brook
    2) you have somehow contaminated your Q
    3) the treatment was not enough to get rid of brook

If you indeed have a clows with brook again, i would be more inclined to say that you have somehow reinfected the tank again, somehow.
    Did you store you nets in fresh hot water after use, like i recommended?

If you did not remove the carbon then the formalin was not as effective as a dose without carbon. Did you give the fish enough rest between treatment?
    I did recommend at least 7-10 days before any other treatment commences. If you continue another round of treatment then you must complete a 10 day course.

also another option would be to dose acrilflavin, I would actually try this if you don't mind dosing the tank, just to make sure or you can try Chloroquine phosphate?

if you require any advice from me please do @ me so that I am aware.

can you give me a chronology of treatment and when you first had problem after treatment stoped?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  15. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well I now have a feeling it is unrelated to brook as the bodies of the fish look healthy and they are both acting completely normal. I bought a separate net but did not store in fresh hot water as was not advised to. I have looked back on the posts and can find not find reference to this. But I will do this in future.

How can I tell if brook has returned? would the bodies of the fish definitely go white? The last thing I want to do is start treatment if I do not need to.

16. FmJames

The fish will behave strange, then rapid breathing sets in very quickly, mucus build up leading to that white slimy look and fish loose energy quick and so on.

The equipment, this includes the buckets you use to do treatments and water changes, nets and anything that goes into the tank should all be washed with hot water, including the nets and left to dry for 24 hour or just leave them soaking in HOT WATER but problem is that over time the metal in the net starts to rust. You could also add myaxzin or miltons antiseptic solution also but problem is that miltons is chlorine based so much be washed very very very well before use.

I personally had 2 sets of buckets and nets, I would one set for 24 hours and then dry for further 24 and while I used my second set
    and just cycles them. Dont forget to wash your hose you use to syphon water with from QT into your buckets, I run hot water in them and them in hot water in the buckets. Wash everything, its important specially with brook as the medication is active for short time and also only for 10 days. If this was hyposalinity you could get away with more. You

In the week you do treatments its best to leave you display tank alone and touch it minimally and not do any water changes on it, simply to avoid cross contamination. I used to do display tank changes on days I did no water changes on the QT. Simply to avoid any
    possible risks or minimise them.

If you feel the clowns are getting worse, then its best also to do formalin dips as well as the formalin you add to the tank. But this means you must catch them and dip them in separate bucket.

I would keep them in QT for a while longer, if you have brook chances are it will return quickly. If you dont feel comfortable that you have eradicate the disease then another treatment options is possible. You could dose acrilflavin at 2ppm and this is very mild
    way to deal with brook.

at worst if you returned them to DT and brook returned then you could just simply pop them back into QT since you have everything
    already.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  17. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks James. I have just boiled the kettle and soaking nets, hoses etc..as I am writing this. I think I will continue dosing Formalin for the next 8 days as they seem to be doing well and the gasping has resided. If it returns then I will try the other medication you have mentioned.

Your help is really appreciated and thank you for the time you have spent so far advising me.

18. FmJames

just normal Hot tapwater should be ok, but let it run till its very hot and let them soak in it for a while or over nite. Hot kettle water is ok, but its going to drive you nuts to fill the hot water many times over to fill a single bucket unless u got 25L kettle :) or do half and half? tap water is 55c and kettle is about 100c so much more effective, but dont melt your plastics :)

np mate, really sorry its come back, i would buy some acrilflavin and myazxin this week :)

also its good to have chloroquine phosphate on hand or be able to source it quickly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  19. FmJames

how is everything? [MENTION=19216]MarkR[/MENTION]

20. MarkR

MarkR Registered

All good so far and today will be the last day of treatment. So will put carbon etc….back in tomorrow. Fish look really well so fingers crossed all good from this point.

Having trouble with my DT now where I have a small outbreak of flatworm although I am sure it is going down a bit. I have just bought a bottle of Flatworm Exit in case it gets to critical.

Also I am getting Neomeris annulata which is slowly spreading but from what I understand the reason for this is because there is no competition in my tank taking the nutrients. I think as soon as I put the fish back in then this should slow it down and hopefully disappear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice