1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Brooklynella disease - Pics to identify

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by MarkR, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well this morning the ammonia level is slighly lower than yesterday but not a lot. I will not feed frozen tonight and will put in 4 flakes to see if they all feed.

I really hope that I will not have to do a water change everyday for 8 weeks otherwise I will need to buy a container load of DI resin. :whistling:

I guess as it is a new setup the tank is probably still cycling so hopefully in a few days things will balance out?

2. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

Mark, at worst you will need to do water changes for 10 days from the start of your formalin treatment. You must really listen to my
    advice when given, it comes from experience :)

I would do the water changes as required, do not feed frozen food at allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :) and feed very little flake food, less than a pinch
    all your fish are very small right now, they only need small food, certainly for 10 days they wont die. After 10 days install some carbon, some large water changes, then install the polyfilter I asked you too buy and feed till they die lol

the polyfilter will take care of the ammonia after your stop formalin, you will still have ammonia for about a week or 2. So i would still moderate
    the feeding for about a week anyway. Change the polyfilter after about 1 week, depending on how much you feed.

right now, no polyfilter until treatment is finished also are you cleaning the sponges in your filter?

one that formalin hit the tank, the tank is not cycling anymore and the bacterial have been nuked from orbit :)
    they either die off or got into a state of inactivity.

The polyfilters will come in handy in 10 days time :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Brilliant thanks. This would explain why the water is going slightly cloudy.

All fish have fed on flake (putting one in at a time to ensure no waste) and also with very few pellets of Calanus. Only fish that isnt feeding is the Cardinal Banggai who is just staying in the corner? Hope he makes it? All other fish look fine.

4. FmJames

Cardinals are quite sensitive and they also dont do well in single fishes either, usually they do better in pairs or more. This is not
    to say you cant successfully keep one fish. The high ammonia levels and/or formalin could be taking its toll on the fish. Formalin is a severe
    irritant to the gill area of fish. This is why its very important to keep the ammonia at bay, feeding less is much better right now. You
    need to make sure when you wake test there is not much ammonia, certainly not the levels you had before.

Unfortunately sometimes quarantine does lead to loss of fish stock :)

but its going good :)

5. MarkR

MarkR Registered

The Banggai was fine this morning and swimming around happily but I found him dead about 15 minutes ago. I know you said they are sensitive so I think it has finally taking the ultimate toll. :sad:

My Ammonia levels are fine but I am doing a water change just in case. I think I will do a water change for the next 6 days until treatment has finished just to be safe.

All the other fish are doing fine.

6. FmJames

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Some fish are very sensitive to ammonia spikes, stress and with the medication on top it was too much. Having said that my bangi cardinal
    died after 2 weeks and eating like a pig for no reason just died.

After you finish this round, give the fish a 4-5 days rest and you might want to de worm them. You might also want to think about a prophylactic treatment for ich as well if you want, since they are going to be here for 3 month.

7. MarkR

MarkR Registered

omg I have little white speckles on my glass. On closer inspection they are moving around like micro insects. Could this be related with the Brook parasite. I have attached a pic. I have done a video if needed.

View attachment 102296

8. FmJames

that is your display correct??

no brook really cant be seen with the naked eye, certainly not in the display tank. Its too small, those are just sign of a healthy tank.

The picture is not great but are they flatworms?

9. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Yes it is the DT and I suppose they could be flatworm after comparing with other pics.

Well today will be 'day 5' of treatment which means I am half way through already. Big Thumbs Up

10. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Day 6!!

All going really well, started feeding them Calanus and they love it. Done a water change earlier even though the Ammonia levels were still low after 2 days.

I thought I would hate looking after two tanks but am really enjoying it!

11. FmJames

you should be done very soon :)

hopefully you have been careful not to cross contaminate your display tank with QT tank <- most important part of treatment and just as important as the medication.

12. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I have been very careful about not cross contaminating and so far have been keeping everything separate.

Day 8 tomorrow :smile:

13. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Will it will be the final day tomorrow (for medication anyway) :clap:

The water is looking cloudy now although water parameters are all good.

What shall I do after medication is complete. Can I put the carbon in etc......?

14. FmJames

why is the water cloudy?

yes large water changes and then some carbon in there. You still need to keep close eye on ammonia levels since your
    filtration will be out for another week or so. So that is 10 days completed?

I would do some large water changes to get this cloudy down? I wonder why its cloudy!

is your formalin fresh and have you been storing it somewhere cool and according to the storage instructions.
    Formalin has strict storage instructions, aslo you cant use formalin over 30c and under a specific temperature that alluded me
    right now. Look on the back of the box and see if you have been following them.

15. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I think I must be used to crystal clear water in the DT where I am using carbon so I think it is only natural that my water looks as it does in the QT without carbon. Maybe cloudy is the wrong word and more like the water isnt as clear as I would like. The last water change I did this evening did improve it slightly.

The bottle was brand new and sealed when I first started treatment and have been storing it in a cupboard ever since.

So what will the next steps be after tomorrows last treatment. Big Thumbs Up

Here is a pic I took just now.
    View attachment 102542

16. FmJames

hmm that is not normal mate, something amiss here.

I would do large water change until the cloudy is completely gone? No ammonia you say? make sure you test kit is in date.

my QT tank water has never looked like that regardless of treatment and certainly should not loo like that with formalin.

is something leeching? is there anything in the filter that you forgot to take out?

just trying to think why it has gone like this

tomorrow, some water changes and give the fish 7-10 days rest, then de-worm them for 2 weeks.
    After that I would also do a treatment for ich if you want to be bullet proof or if you feel that this
    is not much of a concern then leave it. Between each medicated treatment give them 7-10 days rest.

After this they should be ready to go back into the display tank, well that is if your 12 weeks waiting period is finished :)

17. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I have no idea why it is like this but all parameters are fine and the fish seems happy and feeding as they should. The filter has nothing in it other than the ceramic media. Can I put carbon in for the next 10 days after medication?

Also I have no idea how to de-worm....:whistling:

18. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Just a thought: It could possibly be salt precipitation maybe? I say this because when I setup my original tank from the beginning the water was cloudy and it was only until the live rock went in the water cleared after a few hours. As I have limited filteration then could this be a possibility? It is much clearer after the last water change so I think it is improving.

19. FmJames

hmm I doubt it the salt mix, unless you have a salt mix with large amount of undissolved calcium? its a possibility so cant discount it 100%
    what salt are you using?

My water is usually crystal clear next day after I set up my quarantine tank, its actually crystal clear few hours later. But if the fish are
    happy you should be too :)

yeah you can add carbon straight after the treatment is over on the 11th day, because you add one final dose on the 10th day and wait till 11 day to stop treatment. I would still test the water if I were or you could add the polyfilter after the ceramic beads not before the container that hold them, its very important after and not before. so they are closer to the top and move the ceramics to middle or bottom compartment.

I will write de worming tomorrow :)

20. mattrtby

mattrtby Registered

i had a pair of clowns with the same symptoms a couple after purchase i removed them from the DT and all my other fish where fine think i may have been lucky with this tho...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice