1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Brooklynella disease - Pics to identify

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by MarkR, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well I have had the unfortunate luck (well my clowns have) of having Brooklynella disease, or at least I think. I introduced a Clown to pair up with my existing one about 4 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I noticed white stuff all over the new clown and within a day he was dead. After a lot of research I am almost certain it is Brooklynella disease

In under a week after losing the other one my existing clown also contracted the same disease and I lost him last tonight - Gutted!!

All my other fish including my Yellow Tang (which is over a year old) look fine and healthy although this morning my Chalk Goby was dead.

My concern is after researching this disease is looks like that I have to QT all my existing fish for about 4 weeks to let my DT fallow to clear the parasite and kill it? Is this correct? All my other fish look ok so would I be safe to leave it for 8 weeks before introducing new fish without QT.

I have posted some pics just before he died, so hope you can see the white markings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    View attachment 101119 View attachment 101120 View attachment 101121

2. tyger

tyger Registered

I have just finished 76 days of a fish free DT, don't forget to feed the corals and inverts.

3. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I have been told that as long as the remaining fish look and stay healthy then I should be ok to start adding new fish after 8 weeks? What are thoughts on this?

4. tyger

tyger Registered

To be honest I don't know much about brooklynella mine have had white spot, I'm sure someone else will jump in, if you are putting them in a QT you may as well medicate them, I have just finished one batch today and I used paraguard which I found excellent and is a broad spectrum medication (not copper based) but you would have to check if it covered brook. its made by seachem.

5. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I do not have a QT tank and do not have the space for one as we have young children. So the advise I have been given by my LFS is that if the remaining fish stay and look healthy then I should be ok to start adding new fish after 8 weeks?

6. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I would get aqt tank set up asap or ask a fellow reefer to help as I am sure the other fish will go down the the same route.my friend had this two years ago and lost all his fish.I would go back to the lfs or where ever you got the fish from and get your money back plus the cost of your lost fish.the tank will have to be left fallow fr 6 weeks I beleive

7. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Dont know if it is my LFS fault or if it was down to me introducing too many fish at the same time causing a big bio-load. It was 10 fish I added. I suppose my LFS should have advised me against introducing too many fish at the same time if there was a potential risk of this happening.

8. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I think that if you didn't have it before it was introduced by the clown but it could be whitespot.cant tell by the pics to be honest

9. tyger

tyger Registered

how many corals and inverts have you got, there doesn't seem to be many from your pics

10. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I have a Elegance, Hammerhead and Torch corals and that is it so 3 in total which are doing very well. I do have a Zoa but this is literally falling apart, no idea why. I thought maybe the Zoa was carrying a disease as this was introduced a couple of weeks after the fish were added?

I have x3 shrimps and a few Turbo and Nassirius snails.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have Chalice coral as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. tyger

tyger Registered

Ok, I was going to suggest treating the DT if there were no inverts and corals.

12. Sammy8921

Sammy8921 Registered

If its Brookynella and from what you describe and what I can see from the photos then I am sorry to say you have a problem.

Brookynella will stay in your water column if you have fish remaining in the tank and don't go fishless for 12weeks to ensure its protozoa cycle dies out. Your remaining fish could be immune or fighting the infection but may also be the carriers and will remain that way until treated.

Not everyone has a big enough QT tank to use as a treatment tank to use formalin. If you don't then not sure you have any other choices than feed well and hope for the best.
    [MENTION=12846]FmJames[/MENTION] will be better placed to advise on options available to you.

Best of luck.

13. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Well I wont be able to QT them as I simply wont have the space to do so.

Would this disease have come from the LFS and if so should they be held responsible? Or would it be the case of I introduced too many fish at one time and thus making their tolerance levels lower making the disease outbreak?

14. Viking

Viking Registered

It's not at all relevant where the disease came from or who is to blame. As it happens the blame lies squarely at your door in my opinion, as it's your tank, your fish, and your responsibility to make sure what goes in is disease free. But you're welcome to disagree although I'm not about to argue.

Treatment of the remaining fish in a hospital tank and leaving the display tank fish free for the required length of time is the only way you can guarantee to be disease free.

Adding too many fish at once will not be the cause of the disease outbreak, as it's caused entirely by a parasite. The only way adding many fish would be to blame is if one or all of them were carrying the parasite.

15. MarkR

MarkR Registered

I'm not even going to respond to the first bit as I have only just finished cleaning up my laptop after spraying my mouthful of tea all over it.

Granted though the other bits of advise you have given have proven to be very helpful so thank you.

16. Sammy8921

Sammy8921 Registered

It could have come from anywhere....contaminated water from a frag or liver rock you may have picked up elsewhere, within water that a fish was in or on the surface of a fish itself....I doubt you will be able to work out the origin so best not go blaming anyone or any LFS when not clear.

Because diseases can come from anywhere into our tanks that is why everyone says Quarantine Quarantine Quarantine, though I'm not sure this is always possible given everyone's differing budgets and available space at home. You have to do the best you can with what you can provide and try and get your livestock from reputable places. Hey if you have a QT tank and can afford to put every fish in it for 3 months and treat with every medication under the sun before you confirm they are infection free then best of luck but I doubt many if any on here go to that extreme.

If you had an already infected fish and you then stocked the tank quickly then maybe that could have caused stress in one of your fish and with a reduce slime/stress coat made them more prone to a Brookynella protazoa, which once given a foot hold will take off to a level that all the rest of the fish become targets.

17. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks Andy.

I definitely want to add two more Clowns at some stage but need to get my head around this nightmare. Would it be possible for me to treat any new fish that are introduced first in a QT so they have a resistance when introduced to the DT?

18. Sammy8921

Sammy8921 Registered

Treating any new fish in a QT tank (albeit it would actually be a treatment tank - there is a difference) would just eliminate any issues on the new stock you put in your tank....if your tank already has active Brookynella it would then host itself on your new "clean" fish....as treatment does exactly that 'treat' not not provide a vaccine.

Mate...I don't have the answer but I can share my own experience of having what I thought was Brookynella that took both my clowns.

19. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

Hi

can you tell me exactly what fish you have, how much fish you have, if you have live rock and any sand?
    do you have corals, shrimps and snails?

You have brook and if you dont treat your fishes you can end up loosing nearly all of them

treatment should be in qarantine tank, unless you run fish only system and then if you are willing to take the risk of
    treating a fish only system, then let me know. But I would 100% get a qurantine tank.

let me know how you want to progress and I will provide you with treatment options.

act quick or you will loose everything, in the meantime if you wish to provide a fish relief, then you can do
    fresh water dips for 3-5 min on the fish, this will buy you some time.

good luck

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  20. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Thanks James,

Well the fish I have remaining are 1 Yellow Tang, x2 Firefish and 1 Cardinal Banggai. Strange thing is these look perfectly healthy, there isnt one single mark on the Yellow Tang.

I just had one more thought as to why this this could have happened. The LFS I bought all the fish from literally just finished refitting his shop and all the fish I bought had only been with him for under 24 hours. This would have meant 2 settling in periods for the fish in 24 hours which I should imagine would have been very stressful for the fish and hence?

After reading about Brook every article has said it will wipe out all fish but as mentioned all my other fish look perfect?

It would be very difficult for me to setup a QT because of space due to having small children, my wife would go mad.

I have very few Corals which are a Chalice, Hammerhead, Elegance and Torch.

Isn't it ironic that it was your Trigon posts that inspired me to get into Marine and now going through this. I only upgraded about 2 months ago where I transferred some of the LR and put into the sump. I have Aquaroche in the DT along with a couple of bits of LR to seed.

Thank you once again James

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice