1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Bow or flat fronted?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Animus, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Animus

Animus Registered

I've had a flat fronted tropical tank for a few years, I've found the tank I want to buy now for a marine set up but noticed on another thread about having difficulty viewing with a bow fronted tank. I'd always thought bow fronted was prefefable because it made it easier to see into the tank and that's the form I was going to go for. If you have had both or experience with the bow fronted ones what are the advantages? (just thinking perhaps I'm going for the wrong option now)

Also, and this will probably seem quite a silly question but what are weirs? I keep on seeing the term used and not sure what it is, from the contex I gather it has something to do with the pipework?

Thanks for your advice in anticipation

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Bow fronted aquariums do distort the viewing. Think about fun houses at the fair that had the halls of mirrors inside. When glass is bent it distorts the light travelling through.

I personally prefer a flat fronted aquarium, slearer view and much easier to clean. It is however your preference. Does anyone you know have one set up tha you could lok at before purchasing.

The weir is a sectioned off part of the display tank that water trickles over to reach the sump. I will be doing this in the next filtration installment but in order for you to visualise it, I have included a photograph taken of mine before filling.

[​IMG]

The black parts are weir combs that prevent fish and snails etc from entering the weir and getting trapped. The pipe in the middle of the weir is a Durso stand pipe, these will also be explained but its purpose is to silence the system. Mine is a modified Durso as there is an airline attachment with valve that I can use to adjust the air going in.

Hope that helps.

3. Animus

Animus Registered

Thanks for the reply, a picture does make it a bit clearer! Think I'd probably have to see the whole thing myself for it to make sense but I've a general idea of what it is now. I was always under the impression the bow fronted ones were better, why do people get them/make them if they are harder to see? I have seen the tank I was after at some fish shops but they were all empty, I can see your point though about the fun houses.

4. Kev

Kev Registered

I think its another one of those personal choice / style things. What suits ones taste does not suit anothers.

I am not a fan of bow fronted. I find my eyes hurt if I look at anything through the bow for a while. And I do think there is some unecessary distortion. But there will be those that like bowed tanks.

I had a small bow fronted nano tank. My magnetic algae scraper kept falling off and was a pain to use on the bow.

5. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

For better viewing and ease of cleaning I would go for a flat fronted tank . I think the only advantage to a bowfronted tank is it looks nicer in a room .

6. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

I also found cleaning the glass on a bow fronted tank a pain as with marine if you dont keep on top of things you can get some real stubber coral algea. I find the best way to get that off is with a scraper but with a bow front you run the risk of scratching it with one.

7. Kev

Kev Registered

:-:eek: .............and thats just what I did, 2 nasty scratches that stood out a mile with the lights on. :-0

8. david.smith60

david.smith60 Registered

God we got a lot in commen Kev lol

9. Kev

Kev Registered

We live and learn mate!

10. Animus

Animus Registered

it's looking like there is no real benefit to having a bow front tank then. Cheers guys, as the purpose of having a tank is to view whats in it it seems to make sense to have a flat fronted one :)

11. Animus

Animus Registered

Going for a fluval, and with a flat front one it is actually much cheaper and with more space! 200L instead of 180L, may get the 240L one then instead! sorted ::eek:-

12. Kev

Kev Registered

Alls well that ends well! Good luck with it. :)))

13. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Hello mate not sure what your budget is but have you seen the godiva range from coventry aquatics ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice