1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Blues On Or Off During The Night???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by steve861uk, Feb 27, 2018.

1. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

My new AI Prime HD has a lunar function that can imitate the phases of the moon to reduce/increase the blue light if left on at night (currently set at 5% it will become 2.5 at half moon and 1.25 at quarter moon, etc..).

I ask the question as am not sure if leaving some light on all night is beneficial to the occupants, or not? So what's the verdict and what do you do? :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

mine go off completely

doubt warby will reply :(

4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Ok, thanks Jim.

Have just done a google search on this topic to get some ideas and it seems that approx. half do keep them on, with the justification/idea behind it being that the moon is mostly present and casts a fair bit of light onto the reef (the exception obviously being British Waters where it's black as the ace of spades all of the time :risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:).

Must admit it was nice to come down this morning and see the corals, nem and clowns (other fish were still asleep in their caves) :D. My gold torch was out and swaying in all it's glory, as well as a few others.

I'm up at 5:20am, out the house by 6am to get to work for 7am so I can now at least have breakfast in front of the tank with the dog for company if I want too :).

5. taxidermyem

taxidermyem Registered

I had my lunar mode on and it didn't even light up lmao xx

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Total darkness for me, but if I had some sort of moonlight light then I think I would use it.

7. mgb2010

mgb2010 Registered

Lights off. When the tank is dark all the bugs, cuc, etc come out. Also very easy to see things spawning with a torch.

8. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

mine go out 11.30 till 6am.

they need full dark, its natural

9. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

You need to set your blues on at a suitable level to begin with for Lunar mode to work (my blue is set at 3% between 11pm and 6am and lunar mode is set to run also between 11pm and 6am).

So far it seems to be working (i.e. is noticeably darker for a few days) :D

10. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

After careful consideration (and a slight rise in Alk which may/or may not be related) my tank is now fully darkened once again after 11pm :).

I can still take advantage of the lunar feature of the light by setting it to feature between 9pm and 11pm and ensuring that my led's are no longer running alongside by this time (or I can ignore this feature......damn you AI for providing this to an indecisive person such as myself :confused:).

hillie likes this.
  11. penzo

penzo Registered

Lights out for me,they go off at 11 and on again at 9.

steve861uk likes this.
  12. MalcolmFish

MalcolmFish Registered

Lights out for me. Slow rise in the morning to full sun for few hours. Gradual on and off.

13. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Lights out for me also , although my lights have a feature of moonlight I don't use it , full blackout with the odd shimmer of light from the sump light where the cupboards don't quite meet

14. Jasandjules

Jasandjules Registered

Off. You can consider a moonlight if you want but bear in mind that can encourage some corals to spawn at night, and that can be bad.....

15. hillie

hillie Registered

Just reading this thread....we are thinking of moonlighting so I'll keep you posted!

16. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

its an option on my lights that i dont use

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice