1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Black sand...................

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by Whipitup, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Some where on my travels on the mighty internet today I read about black sand on another forum (some where in the states I think) it was by a reputable company c***sea if I recall correctly, (you probably know which one it is), from what I was reading, it seems that it could cause issues, silicate leeching was the case in this instance causing a nice red slime shine across it, it seems you have to be careful on what you buy, one has a mineral base, and the other has a quartz base, don't ask me what the difference is apart from the obvious, I think one comes from a volcano type location from what I understood, but I thought I would throw this up just in case you wasn't aware of it.

But I must admit it does look good.... :)

2. mgb2010

mgb2010 Registered

Paint the underside of the glass black and go bare bottom. If you don't like it you could add sand later.

3. vin

vin Registered

Well just to add to this.. I had to move a fish last night into my other tank, I stirred up some sand which went into the wet-side of my MP10.. It chewed up the spigot! Now have to replace and some of the sand was stuck to the magnet! Arrrr... I still love it but YOU HAVE TO be gentle lesson learnt!

4. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

I had been told you need to run a magnet through the sand ideally as it is notorious for magnetic particles

5. vin

vin Registered

Never thought of that.. Think I will try that before doing any more maintenance or moves.. Thanks for the idea:thumbup1:

6. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Guys, I went with the "flow" in the end and added "normal" sand to the tank................

7. warby

warby Registered

a little bit off topic but iv got black sand in my trop tank and its a pain in the @$$ to keep clean :(

8. les

les Registered

Nope, you would perhaps need to up your lighting, it would be a pain to keep clean and show detritus.

9. Mayo

Mayo Registered

4 years old this les

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. les

les Registered

Yep but wanted to not let the forum die so thought I would give this thread a bump. Seems it's going to die anyway

11. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Yep, unfortunately it seems to have already died Facebook is probably to thank for that. Shame as this forum used to be imo the best.
    Used to be such a great group of people on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

les likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice