1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Bio Pellets

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by mod, Oct 16, 2017.

1. mod

mod Registered

Does anyone use bio pellets ?

Do the work ?

Which ones do you use ?

Thanks

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

I Did,

They Do ( well did for me )

Cant remember (it was years ago )

Sorry

mod likes this.
  3. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Hi bud been using them for probably a year on my nano and now on the 300l and they alway did what the package said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. damo666

damo666 Registered

Just out of curiosity, what is it they aim to do? Thanks

5. mod

mod Registered

There supposed to reduce nitrates and a phosphates ( I think)

6. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Short version it will bring your nitrates down and phosphates they claim on to a 5 to 1 ratio and exported via protein skimmer, so a decent protein skimmer will also be needed, they are really good but they need to be handled with care if you only starting to dose them now too much and it will kill all your corals in the tank.

Too much info to add on a reply but personally I love them and it's a easy way to carbon dosing in all my set ups nitrates have always been low

7. mod

mod Registered

What make do you recommend

8. Afonso

Afonso Registered

To be honest I just bought some from flea bay can't remember the make. Am just assuming that they all made of similar materials and you will pay more for a well known brand.

May I ask you what size tank you have and is it heavily stocked?

9. mod

mod Registered

I have a 250 lt, stock is soft corals , anemone , 5 fish so not to bad but my nitrates are 60 ish , I’m doing water changes but it’s not moving very quickly, I’m thinking of bio pellets as long term

10. Afonso

Afonso Registered

That is quite high to be honest you are very close to toxic levels, bio pellets will help but it takes about 4 weeks to start working and you will have to start with a very small dose so that your coral and fish won't get a choke and die. How much you feeding your tank if I may ask? Also there is a few more options on carbon dosing like vinagre and vodka but I ain't very familiar with as I never tried them myself

11. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Cripes that is high :confused: You could try Nopox, which a lot of people use on here in addition to a refugium with cheato algae.

I have the same tank volume as you, but have 7 fish (2x clowns, 3x chromis, 1x orange spot goby and a yellow tang (a small one!) and it is a reef system (with lps, sps, some mushies and zoas. I feed them 1 + 1/2 a cube of mixed frozen per day Mon to Fri and twice a day at the weekend.

I've been using Nopox, Rowaphos, Cheato Algae and Agent Green (on the odd occasion to keep on top of phosphates) - my No3 is 0.6 and Po4 is 0.02.

Nopox though like anything else will take a few weeks to work.

Bio pearls work, but I've heard others say that they don't offer any ability to control levels easily, like you can do with Nopox and Rowaphos, etc.. With Nopox if nitrates are too low, you just reduce the daily dosage, the opposite if too high.

12. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Moderator Staff Member

i use them and they do work

bit not in balance really i use rowaphos as well due to high phosphates but almost undetectable nitrates

13. Shark

Shark Registered

Been using bio pellets for 10 weeks now in my reefer 250
    Still nitrates are high around 30,been doing regular water changes but don't think pellets have kicked in yet,looking into dosing a bacteria called prodibo bio digest
    Anyone use this!
    Also losing some big colony's of frogspawn and other lps so is the pellets causing this!

14. Shark

Shark Registered

Also noticed though the skimmer is pulling loads of stinking crap out that never before,so pellets may be starting to kick in

jim_fitz likes this.
  15. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Did you read the instructions and only started with just a small amount buddy? Coral will do ok in high nitrates as long is stable what can kill them is the swing in parameters so you will have to bring them down very slowly probably around 4 to 6 weeks I've seen ppl crashing they're tank by just throwing the hole package.

16. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Did you read the instructions and only started with just a small amount buddy? Coral will do ok in high nitrates as long is stable what can kill them is the swing in parameters so you will have to bring them down very slowly probably around 4 to 6 weeks I've seen ppl crashing they're tank by just throwing the hole package.

17. Shark

Shark Registered

Yep over the first few weeks added 50ml a week,now have around 300ml tumbling away
    So don't think nitrates haven't come down enough to shock the system,phosphates are between 0 and 0.1 (can't tell using the crap redsea non pro test kit)may well be something else which are stripping a large torch and frogspawn which I've had for years,(only upset them since adding pellets though)
    So I've ordered a bacteria source to help the pellets called prodibo bio digest and to level out phos and nitrates

18. Shark

Shark Registered

image.jpeg Here's a pic of two frogspawn before and after

Attached Files:

19. Shark

Shark Registered

And here is now

Attached Files:

20. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Nitrates of 30 wouldn't necessarily hurt the euphyllia , do you dose any iodine ?? They like Iodine