1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

bio pearls and dying fish

Discussion in 'Fish Health' started by Gazer, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Gazer

Gazer Registered

I got a tub of bio pearls 1000ml from my local LFS 3 weeks ago to try out after reading on here how good they are, my nitrates and phosphates are low anyway but thought this will help in the day to day runing of my tanks.

Iv put in around 1/4 of the tube which is around 250g / 300g into a Reactor i have and run them into a 25lt bucket of RO water for a few days before fitting to my tank which is around 600L with the sump.

Everythink for the first week was fine then monday just gone i came home to find my water cloudy which again reading about them thought well this does happen.

Anyway came home last night and found that i had lost both my Purple Tang and my Powder Blue Tang which as anyone would know i was not a happy man, the cloudy water was starting to go abit at this time and was getting clear.

This morning i got up and again i found 2 more dead my Nasso Tang and Longnose Hawkfish plus the Blue Tang is on its last legs all these fish are hardy fish and i have never had any trouble like this before in 20 years of keeping marine fish.

I have now turned these bio pearls off this morning as i think this as somethink to do with it, all corals are fine but its like these pearls are choking the fish to death with the way the water as gone cloudy.

Anyone else lost any fish since trying these bio pearls out ? if so i would like to hear from you

Regards Gary

2. Ged

Ged Registered

Hi

Sorry to hear that you have had some issues.

I haven't heard of people losing so many fish in such a short time, and it would also appear that sometimes the Pearls do cause a bacterial bloom.

From reading posts on here, the only possible reason that I can see is if the Nitrates and Phosphates were quite high initially, or that too many Pearls were added in one go, which doesn't seem the case as per your explanation.

I can only assume that because of the bloom, then there was a lack of oxygen etc in the water.

I will PM Tony a link to this thread to see if he can make any sense etc

3. PaulW

PaulW Registered

So sorry to hear that. Hope u get to the bottom of the problem :-(

4. karnivor

karnivor Registered

I'm sorry to hear of your losses. It is difficult at this stage to establish if the Pearls were a contributing factor, as i need some data to look at.

So,
    Can you tell me the following, so that i can give you some advice?

SG
    PH
    KH
    Temp
    Calcium
    Nitates
    Phosphates
    Nitrite
    Ammonia.

What were the symptoms of the fish deaths?
    How cloudy was the water?
    Do you run a skimmer?
    What reactor/flow were you using.

Pearls themselves are safe for fish and cannot directly cause death. However, under certain extreme cases, they can affect water quality in such a way to cause stress, which may lead to death.

If you can supply the above information accurately, it should point to a cause, unless it is totally unrelated.

Tony.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. Neil

Neil Registered

As above we need a bit more details

especially how you have been running the bio peals and also what volume is your tank ?

6. Gazer

Gazer Registered

Thanks for the replys

Just got back in from work and the Blue Tang is swimming around like a good one now which this morning he was at deaths door which is now a releaf to see him alive

Water is now clear and the skimmer looks like its been working over time today..........i dont know why but i'm putting this down to all the oxygen been used up

I'm using a totto filtter for these pearls and the tank with the sump is just over 600lt

The symptoms i saw this morning were the fish needing oxygen which i lifted one of my power heads to the top of the tank to make more of it and tonight all the rest of my fish look happy again.

Like i said the water was cloudy but not as bad as the last couple of days
    and the skimmer as been on all the time but not that much coming from it untill today.

Flow on the reactor was normal as in i have a tap on it and the pearls are just moving within each other.

Readings from sunday
    SG 1.26
    PH 8.2
    KH not done
    Temp 25.8 / 26.0
    Calcium 420ppm
    Nitrates between 2 & 5
    Phosphates 0.5
    Nitrite 0.0
    Ammonia. 0.0

As for the tests last night and today not had time to check.

As for losing fish i might lose 1 every 18 / 24 months if i'm unlucky not 4 in 24 hours

I will do some more readings tonight when i get back from picking up the daughter from collage

Regards Gary

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  7. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Well, from first looks, I would say that your diagnosis may well be correct.

It all depends on how bad the cloudiness was and where your alkalinty is sitting.

It sounds like you are fairly heavily stocked, depending on the actual sizes of the fish, so lack of oxygen is a possibility if the bloom was bad enough to make the water cloudy, as opposed to hazey.

Alkalinity may also be involved, as a lack of oxygen and high bacterial activity may have resulted in a temporary PH drop.

Certainly, gasping fish points to both possibilities.

Your phosphates and Nitrates are sufficiently high to produce a fair amount of activity with the Pearls, which will show up when you do a fresh set of readings.

Tony.

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i too got cloudy tank ,,,never lost any stock though.

i am running around 700ml now in 700l tank,,and i still think its a bit too much, as i have a slight haziness sometimes in the tank when you look through lengthways.

so i am not toppiing them up until they go below 500ml, and take it from there.

most people i see have these fluidising fast, as do i,,,maybe they stagnated due to lack of flow ?

9. Gazer

Gazer Registered

Hi Tony

just done another test

SG 1.28 this is due to sump water needs topup
    PH 7.8 this as droped
    KH 8.6
    Temp 25.8 / 26.0
    Calcium 420ppm
    Nitrates 2
    Phosphates 1.0
    Nitrite 0.0
    Ammonia. 0.1 due to just feeding

as to fairly heavily stocked.........i'm no were near stocked up.

The only problem i have now is if i start these pearls off again will i get all this cloudiness with them being off for 14 hours or more ?
    Thats if i go down this road again with them

Regards Gary

10. Ged

Ged Registered

How fast are / were they fluidising?

11. Gazer

Gazer Registered

They were not going mad...... just fast enough so that they were all moving top and bottom of the reactor.

12. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Hi Gary,
    I'm a little confused as to why your phosphates are so high, with only nitrates of 2. A normal balance would be about 25 nitrates.

Do you use a DSB? Or some form of nitrate removal?

Also, i'm wondering if your PH has been dipping with a reading of 7.8 and an alk of 8.6 at SG 1028. It would be much lower at 1025.

Normally, pearls dont affect fish health other than in very extreme cases, where the cloudiness is very very heavy and oxygen is depleted, or where PH crashes due to low alkalinity.

Tony.

13. Gazer

Gazer Registered

Ok starting from the begining

View attachment 37950

I have a white Betta Lifespace 1500with a 3ft x 18in x 18in sump.....in the sump i have a Vecton 600 uv light with a TMC V2 Skim 1200 Protein Skimmer with a Aquamedia OR3600 Return Pump around 55kg Live Rock in the top and about 5kg in the sump with TMC 300 heater and Cheato algae chaetomorpha with a totto reactor now with the bio pearls in it.
    I used to run a Aqua medic Nitratreductor 1000 on this tank untill 2 months back as this as now gone onto the front room tank.
    I dont run a Deep Sand Bed in this tank but i do on the other one in the front room as for the readings last night it was starting to get late after all the running around picking up my kids from collage and trying to do them all.
    I will be nipping out this afternoon from work and getting a couple more kits just to double check all the readings that i did last night plus there will be more light in the afternoon to see true readings.

As i asked before will i have to go though all this again if i was to start these pearls up again as they have now been off for over 24 hours ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. karnivor

karnivor Registered

I would wash the pearls in RO water and clean the reactor out before restating the pearls, as they may have soured if left in an anaerobic condition.

If you experience anything other than a faint haze in the water, you should cut the quantity in half again.

Tony.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice