1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Best led lights for 4ft tank.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Steve_bham, Jan 19, 2017.

1. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

IMO going to the 2 series both on terms of looks and performance is quite a drop

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. warby

warby Registered

but they are both proven to grow corals which is what we are trying to do. more channels = more potential to get it wrong but on the other hand you get more control over the exact colour you want.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

3. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

Very true, that's why I'm still undecided lol both will work and work well on my tank I believe. So it's google time! To find info and videos on both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Yep very true Warby.

But if the 2 series could not be bettered then the 5 series would not be around to try and match the radion type LED

5. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

6. warby

warby Registered

I'm not doubting there new ones are an improvement just saying both have been proven to grow corals and if it was me for my tank I'd go with the newer 50series but in all honesty I'm not 100% sure the 800mm unit would do a 1200mm tank.

7. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

Yeh I'm going for the 5012 will cover whole tank. If I can't mount in on tank then I'll hang it from ceiling like my halide unit is at min

8. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

[​IMG]

Mine hung

9. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Before you pull the trigger on the it5012, just one to look at very new to market and would be your £1k budget the maxspect ethreal

10. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

Yeh I looked at them and do like them, only thing that puts me off is the fan drawing air from tank. Would it have a long term effect on the unit

11. warby

warby Registered

I looked at the ethereal they look like amazing units. and the it50xx draw air form the bottom along with the radions there hasn't been any issues with them atall. plus your going to be around 10inches off the water line

12. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

Oh you have just thrown a spanner in the works now lol I do like the look of the ethreal fittings. Just wonder how if they will be better than the it5012?

No point spending more if they will be the same.

13. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

The ethreal looks to be based on a difference approach to the standard radion / it5012 type set up.

I have the maxspect celestial on a nano which I guess now in hindsight was part of the product development towards the ethreal. The colour mixing is very good.

The ethreal I think with controller it can be linked with gyre also.

The led approach looks to be relatively new, so hard to say if it stacks up against the well developed LED layouts

14. Steve_bham

Steve_bham Guest

Just had a look on the website and I would have to mount them on the brace bar as my tank hood / trim is greater than 1" if I did that I'd probably get salt creep on the bracket area, which I wouldn't really want.

They do look good but if think the IT5012 is still in the lead!

15. warby

warby Registered

not yet they can't :( I keep looking around for the icv6 but it isn't avaliable seperate to the lights yet and the app hasn't been updated to control the gyre. I'll be getting the wireless control once it comes out.

at the end of the day all the lights mentioned will grow corals and I think it's down to preference.

16. peter

peter Registered

Google ledzeal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice