1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Belfast sink

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by [email protected], Aug 9, 2011.

1. Simon@coralsworkshop

[email protected] Registered

hi people, just wondering if a belfast sink would be suitable for making up my salt waterim thinking of plumbing it in next to my tank to use for water changes and also double up as a sink for cleaning off live rock, fragging etc.

i wont be having a traditional plug hole but a bulk head and 2 ball valves (one to the tank and one to the drain.

can anyone see a flaw in my plans before i start? :taunt:

Big Thumbs Up

2. Neil

Neil Registered

IMHO no as you don't now what contaminate may be in it but if you want one I have two

3. Simon@coralsworkshop

do you think it would be better to build the sink out of glass, i was thinking that the ceramic would be a bit stronger but then again, a glass sink could be custom built to fit my needs. :taunt:

4. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

I'd go for plastic, then it's hard wearing easy to modify and inert. Especially if you're going to be handling rock etc in it..

5. Simon@coralsworkshop

that was my first idea. i dont know how to make a plastic tank though :whistling:

6. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Yeh, other than making in acrylic (pricey) you want to try and find a plastic tank to fit,
    I'd go looking in various DIY stores or plumbing places for water storage tanks. Ideally you want it suitable for food use then your know for sure it's reef safe.

Wilkinsons seems to be a favourite store for all shapes and sizes of plastic containers...

7. Neil

Neil Registered

why not just put a 25 liter container into the sink then syphon it out when doing your water changes

8. Simon@coralsworkshop

because i will have to put a 25lt container in the sink and syphon it in to the tank every time i do a water change Hysterical

m8, you know how lazy i can be Big Thumbs Up

if i make a 25lt sink then i dont need to store and extra container. if i have a ball valve i dont need to syphon. it makes it quick and easy. :dance:

9. Neil

Neil Registered

I use a 3/4 hose and can syphon 25 liters in no time at all

10. Neil

Neil Registered

why not then just set up a salt make up tank like mine

11. Simon@coralsworkshop

it will be similar but will different dimensions and will be above sump water level. this way i can stand up and use it as a sink for cleaning and it doubles as a salt mixing tank. ;)

i think i may just construct it out of glass and make an egg crate basket to protect it from bumps and scrapes. that black egg crate i got off fleabay is soft and will work a treat :-d

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice