1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Bacteria

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by britott, May 26, 2017.

1. britott

britott Registered

Hi guys,
    I was looking at atms colony and it sounds like it could be used in my new tank, was also looking at seachems stability both sound equally as good but have massive price differences, my question is, is one much better than the other and also is there another bacteria you guys can recommend.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. merser

merser Registered

There are a few out there mate. All do the same job. I've used colony several times and it works perfectly. Also used mr tims and some little gel ball things. All
    Worked fine.

I've never used stability but I know colony works so why pay more.

Hope that helps!

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. britott

britott Registered

Its the colony which costs a lot more than stability so really was just wondering if anyone thought it was worth the extra money.

4. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I have used it and its worth the extea money. Dr tims is also extremely good. Make sure you remove the skimmer cup for a week if you use colony to help boost the bacteria. It will airate the water which is important. Otherwise just turn it off totally

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Its kind of like bleach, you can buy any sort or make of it and it will "do the job" however some are better then others I have found, zeobak is the only one I will use now, but its probably the most expensive one out there but its a buy and forget one, you know its going to work 100% of the time, and it gives you the peace of mind that you are starting on the right footings for the tank, ATM colony I have heard good things about many of times but I have never used it, but after buying various different bacterias when I first started out and found them taking so long to do what they were suppose to do, I bit the bullet and purchased zeo, and have never looked back, just my thoughts on it.

6. merser

merser Registered

Ah right. I can't comment on stability as I've never used it.

7. britott

britott Registered

I am only really using it too help out, I have already used live sand and its been running for a week and all the parameters seem great, its just the ammonia is still a little high for me at 0.036 ppm on a seneye device so just thought maybe some more bacteria wouldn't hurt to help bring things into balance. Never tried this instant cycle thing and just a being a little cautious as I have always done the old style wait, wait and wait some more till the cycle is complete, thanks everyone for your input, its greatly appreciated.

8. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

wait, wait and wait some more till the cycle is complete
    Your words, Good advice :)

9. merser

merser Registered

I'm a bit the opposite. Complete waste of time to cycle the old way. Literally zero additional benefit.

Do you have livestock in there? You will need a waste source for all instant cycles.

Personally, is just bang the potion of choice in and follow the instructions. Thousands of people have use instant stuff with perfect results. The science is sound.

Good luck whatever way you go pal.

Jamie

10. britott

britott Registered

Not added any live stock yet, was hoping to maybe add something this weekend, I got a ton of dead rock in the main tank and sump so hoping that will be good enough to hold the bacteria and also got some aflagrog on its way this week too add just incase.

11. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

There is loads of opinions out there, I First started 1983. Started going to museum got lots of advice there
    The one piece of advice was when cycling your tank, add pee! until ammonia levels were at 40 or off the scale. I Think I used 2 lionfish to help with cycle. as well
    Then let nature take its course. Now days The reefing has come on leaps and bounds, we have skimmers sumps wavemakers gyres, goes on and on
    But there is so much more you can get out there......Forgive the ramble........ Good luck on your journey

12. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Sorry to jump in and throw another question in the mix - once tank has cycled and established, what are the best ways to boost bacteria growth?

13. merser

merser Registered

What do yo mean mate? To what end? You can use a carbon source such as nopox etc if you are trying to increase the removal or nitrate phosphate?

Other than that once cycled the tank should balance itself and have the required bacteria.

I think!

14. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Adding additional bacteria on an established tank really has no additional benefits, as the load will not be enough to sustain it which will result in a loss of bacteria as it will die off, this is why we say add livestock slowly to allow bacteria to catch up with the new load/stock, from time to time you may see a "bacteria bloom" which in more cases than not is a result of something getting disturbed or dislodged in a pipe etc... which gives extra food source to the bacteria, hence you get a bloom, however once this has been eaten then the tank will go back to how it was, again its down to balance that the tank is already stabilized at.

15. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i dont understand how Stability can work on both fresh and salt water at the same time

its a completely different bacteria

16. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Bang on above info there . Slowly add your fish !

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

ADD pee Hysterical first time i have heard that lol

18. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

why buy ammonia when you make your own

just dont do it off a step ladder !

19. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical you would need a big step ladder to reach your tank jim lol

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I have used stabiltiy before and it did work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice