1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Back To The Hobby For A Second Try!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Scott8819, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Hi WardyC the nitrite bacteria won’t keep the ammonia bacteria fed, you have to give a source of ammonia for them to covert it to nitrite. My cycle was happy with me in certain periods not to add any ammonia for 1 week and not suffer what so ever. My cycle took so long as I have a sterile tank and had everything dead so had to add everything myself.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

It's nice to put the first fish into a new tank, makes it feel like all the effort cycling and testing was worthwhile,
    Looking very good.

3. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

4. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Hi Steve, thanks for prompting me to update!! Been so busy with work etc not had time to give an update, but found time to spend with my tank. I’ve attached a photo of the display as of tonight. I have changed and added a fair few things, my first change was to add a refugium with some live sand and rock and a hand full of cheato back in Jan, dosed with pods to get ready for a goby which went in to keep my sand bed clean about 2 weeks after. I then also added a green hammer coral, green playing monti frag, red plating monti frag and also a red digi frag. I dose zooplankton every other day and dose pods once a month just to make sure population stays up for goby. may calm this down a bit though as I have noticed my red digi is not extending its polyps for the past 3 days, did notice some small bugs not sure if they are pods or not, the base of the digi is also turning slightly white.

Attached Files:

5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Sounds and looks great :) If the bugs scurry around the rocks when the tank is dark and/or just as the lights come on, then yes will be pods :D I love watching them run over my live rock and sand in the morning.

SPS can be temperamental at the best of times, I'm hoping to add some next week (ordered them yesterday via the bay) and hope that my new light and stable water conditions will help them survive and grow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice