1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Back To The Hobby For A Second Try!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Scott8819, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Hi all! Well I’ve bit the bullet and returned to marine fish again. I did have a small tank before which just ended in disaster so decided to sell up, this time round I am not being beaten and have bought everything I believe to make a good setup! I got everything delivered last Friday 13/10/17, Here is the equipment, let me know what you think:
    Most important thing TCM V2 100gallom RO unit
    Ea Reef pro 900S tank and cabinet
    TCM V2 Iluminaire 900 connect
    Red Sea reef base reef pink 20kg sand
    48lb of Caribsea Life Rock Eco Live Rock
    Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer
    TMC Reef Pump 400 DC for return
    Flu all E series 300w Heater
    Vortech QD MP40W circ pump
    H2O fluidised reactor for phosphate
    Tunez Osmolater Nano for ATO
    Red Sea Coral Pro salt
    Red Sea refractometer and marine test kit

2. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

I started setting up on Friday with getting the tank into place and then sorting out how I wanted the rock. Took me at least 5 hours to organise how I wanted it as I just couldn’t decide which was best (that’s the reason I chose dry rock!).

Finally after stone fixing it all together I added it to the tank and the filled with the sand!

Attached Files:

3. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Finally got the light setup over the tank, switched it on to admire the work! Thought it was time to call it a night at this stage! Getting tired and was scared to make any mistakes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

@Scott8819 nice to see you return to the salty hobby :).

That's an impressive list for sure and we wish you luck and look forward to watching it grow :aaaaa:.

Be aware that Caribsea Life Rock does take quite a while to mature, but has the benefit of not adding any unwanted guests to your system (they will come later when you start adding corals, etc. :eek:).

Scott8819 likes this.
  5. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Come Sunday it was time to setup the sump with all the equipment in place. Also getting the 50 litres drums filled with RO water while I was tinkering with other things. Takes 4 hours per barrel! I will admit, I had a few floods when I forgot about the RO water running lol! It was bound to happen, I was to excited to finally get everything unpacked and placed in location ready for the tank to get wet!

6. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Very nice display :D

7. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Thanks Steve, I know, I am going to be very patient this time round! I’ve finally got all the water in and ready on Tuesdays this week. I mixed the salt and the RO water inside the tank as everything was dry (not alive), not only that it taken me all day Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to make enough RO water up to fill the sump and tank! I have just been doing final tinkering with the return pump speed and valve flow to the sump to make the tank silent! You seriously can’t hear much at all! So impressed. I will be popping to an LFS tomorrow to pick up some ammonia and dr Tim’s one and only to seed the tank and start the cycle, unless anyone has any better ideas considering nothing is alive in the tank at the moment.

8. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

You could add some ATM Colony in a few days time (will add bacteria to help with the cycle) - some people (apparently) add a prawn to add a bit of decay to also try and accelerate the process. But as you say, patience is the key :).

9. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

I have heard that adding the shrimp stinks out the room and could possible add to much ammonia, hence the reason why I am buying the ammonia chloride and dosing to the correct levels, I know it will take more time due to nothing being alive so created the bacteria from scratch but should be worth it in the long run. Would you guys run the skimmer and lights while cycling or does it not matter?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Moderator Staff Member

I'm a big fan of The ea pro reef tanks but just a little bit of advice, cover the hinges on the doors with Vaseline, mine is less than a year old and the hinges have already started to rust.
    Looking forward to seeing this tank develop.

11. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Thanks for the advice Doug, I will get this done ASAP!

12. Afonso

Afonso Registered

In my opinion I would keep the lights off or just actinic light during the cycle it will prevent nuisance algae growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Thanks Afonso, just picked up the ammonia chloride today and dosed to 2ppm hopefully, will test tomorrow to make sure.

14. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Just thought I’d show a pic of the sump now I’ve cleaned everything up and got it all running.

Attached Files:

15. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Snapshot of the tank today, tested the ammonia and showing at 1.5ppm, nitrate showing a tiny amount so conclude to be 0.01ppm.

Attached Files:

16. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Will it look that clean a year from now........is a very nice setup you have there :)

17. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

I do have a bit of OCD, so I hope so! Thanks Steve. Just wait for the cycle now but hopefully before Christmas I will be able to re-home some fish to join the family.

18. Scott8819

Scott8819 Registered

Just to give a quick update, still cycling with dr Tim’s ammonia, had the ammonia spike, got the nitrite spike still going, and also have roughly 70 nitrate so hoping it shouldn’t be long now! Just dosing ammonia when it’s at 0 to keep the bacteria fed. Nitrite is sitting at 7ish.