1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Back again with my lighting issues.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by pwh101, Jul 6, 2017.

1. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Hi,

Back again with my lighting issues.

I rained my lighting in and manually removed the brown algae. This was last week.

Now the brown algae is rearing its ugly head again. Only lightly but still concerning.

It's destroyed 3 small Spls and a medium Lps.

Should I just tough it out?

I have also stopped my NoPox dosing as of today. Could the dosing be the cause? Any helpers, please?

Parameters. Salt 1.026 NO3 0 NO2 0 NH3/4 0.3 Mg1400 PH 8.2 Ca 460 Po4 0.08 KH 4.3/11.5

Tank Reefer 250.

Lighting 2 x Kessil A360We Tuna Blue Settings 10am 0% & 20% 12pm 20% & 30% 2pm 35% & 45% 4pm 40% & 50% 6pm 20% & 30& 21 0% & 0%

Any help would be vry much apreciated.

2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

How old is your tank?

3. Realist

Realist Registered

Post a photo up of your tank as it is.

4. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Been running without a hitch for 18 months with a cheap blue-white LED but had very little Coral growth. The trouble started when I installed the two Kessils A360WE a couple of months ago. Think it's a case of getting the light parameters correct but can't seem to crack it. My tank just looks mucky. IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0921.jpg IMG_0922.jpg IMG_0923.jpg

5. Realist

Realist Registered

Tanks are like women, one day they are happy and easily pleased the next they just want to kill you.

Tough it out algae will burn it self out.

What was your tank like a few months ago, what's changed to make you think it looks poor?

6. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Just lights. Tried to improve with the Kessils. I'll get there.
    I see all these amazing pictures and can't seem to get anywhere near it.
    Thanks for the help. This forum is my lifeline.

7. Realist

Realist Registered

Lights do play a big part in a reef setup.

What was your old lights like?

8. Scott

Scott Registered

Ok.... first thing i can say is your running your lights FAR too bright. Bring them down to 30% and more toward the blue spectrum. Algae loves white light especially the warm white which incorporates yellow red and green

Next keep dosing nopox as with am anbundance of algae your po4 and no3 readings will have an element of being false as the algae uses it when lights are on and releases it when lights are off.

You have answered your own questions. The par generated by kessil lights is far superior to that of a cheap white blue chinese LED.... for a start kessils are mix at source single chip leds that mix specrum better than 90% of lights on the market.

I guarantee if you lower your photoperiod to 8hrs, light intensity to 30% and more 20k atinic, maintain po4 and no3 your algae will dissolve in 2-3 weeks

I also recommend brown algae should just ecaporate when hit with a toothbrush. Hammer the entire rockwork up your flow while you do it so none can settle fish amd coral will be fine being hammered for an hour and then change mechanical filtration once wayer has cleared to help immediately solve the problem.

Surprisingly corals can go for a very long time in low light and even no light so ramping down lights will have zero effect on corals. If it doesnt clear it at 30% and following my instructions lower to 20% and repeat. If that doesnt work..... ill eat my hat.

9. Scott

Scott Registered

Also.... look at the angle of your overspill..... i would even remove 1 unit completely as seems that 1 kessil would be more than enough for your tank. 1 kessil 30% intensity more blue than white hammer your rock with toothbrush and flow change mech filtration job done.

10. Scott

Scott Registered

Algae is troublesome as it can survive in a wide range of conditions and environments. Its primary foodsource is photosynthesis and will die off with less light and minimal no3 po4.

If you have a sump also google 'the bubbling method' helps stabilise ph and is a great way to remove waste and detritus before it has chance to dissolve and become part of the ammonia/nitrogen cycle as mech filtration can remove it and in effect if ran at nighttime it turns your whole tank into a skimmer and your skimmer can remove lots more. It also helps stabilise PH as oxygenates the water thus removing co2 which lowers PH at nighttime. That will also cure your tank looking grubby and increase water clarity.

Best advice i can give and can almost certainly guarantee it to work.

Scott

11. Realist

Realist Registered

Top advice.

12. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Well, If I tell you it cost me £19.99 and the adjustment was on or off, I think you can work out it was just an interim unit and not much use for growth of any measure. I used it until I managed to prize my debit card out of my wallet and buy the two Kessils. Still having night sweats about the transaction.

13. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Thank you for the great advice. I have cranked the lights down by 30% and am in the process of setting up an air stone to introduce the bubble method into my tank. I will let you know in a couple of weeks the results. Really appreciate it. Paul

14. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Great advise from [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION]. i think i need to look into the bubbeling method myself

15. Scott

Scott Registered

I meant max itensity 30% pal

Huge difference between your 40w 20led blue white cheap led and 160w kessil dense matrix led chip.

I would also only use 1 light unit in middle of tank.

2 units is lots of light for your size of tank. And judging from overspill of light 1 unit will cover your system adequately.

Once you get more coral and algae gone maybe add the second unit at a later date.

As stated corals can survive a huge amount of time in low light but not very long in high light.

Your coral will also tell you if there isnt ebough light as they exoand and stretch upto light.

Combined with bubble scrubbing at night.... your problems will be solved

16. warby

warby Registered

I agree with Scott looking at the size of the tank 1 will be ok how ever if you set on running 2 run them low around 30% and around 20K spectrum.
    corals need the blue light more then the white. if been watching a series of videos on brs YouTube channel about various subjects and lighting is being covered at the moment.
    corals dont actually need as much light as many people think. in the big aqua culture farms they run radions. peak par for sps is between 250-350 for lps it was around 50-80par iirc. too much light will not only bleach corals it can also stunt there growth.
    as for bubble scrubbing......meh lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

17. Scott

Scott Registered

I used to think that about bubbling.... until i tried it amd saw the results

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice