1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Automated water change system 1

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by Neil, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Neil

Neil Registered

Well have sorted the automated water change system out

I will be changing a very small amount of tank water each hour and replacing with new salt water

with my system I'm only going to be changing the amount of water that's between the top up level switch down to the return pump (just a bit before it starts to suck air in)

to do this I will be using my auto to up unit

parts needed
    2 12volt relays
    some wire
    electrical joining strip
    2 more 12 volt pumps (old water removal pump my be a dosing pump)
    some form of timed 12 volt supply

so how does it work

well the auto top up unit works as normal toping up as required

When the timer sends 12 volts to the first relay it stops power from the top up unit going to the pump via the second relay and starts to remove tank water

At the same time it also switches the second relay changing the contacts from the RO top up pump to the salt renewal pump (no power will feed as the first relay is stopping it at this time)

When the water level drops the level switch on the top up unit operates and power is sent to the second relay coil keeping it open when the timer shuts off

When the timer shuts of the tank water removal goes of and power from the top up unit is allowed to go to the second relay then to the salt renewal pump

When the water level reaches the level switch the top up unit turn of this cuts power the renewal pump and the second relay coil this then toggles back to the RO pump ready for normal operation

Hope the above makes sense LOL

For the system control I will be using my Aqautronica this I’m able to set times to come on and to stay on from a min of 1 second most people would be using a segmented timer that normally has segments of 15 minutes in this case the I would recommend a dosing pump is used

[​IMG]

2. reefloat

reefloat Registered

and i thought i was bad!!!!
    what about float switch failure?

3. Neil

Neil Registered

this is the case with most top up systems but if using your twin float system should not be a problem I will be using my osmolator that has a high level float switch as well

4. reefloat

reefloat Registered

well thought out, is it actually in use yet?
    I would add a diode across the relay coils to prevent back EMF

5. Neil

Neil Registered

No as the new system not up and running yet and have been thinking of adding the diode

6. Neil

Neil Registered

picture of the prototype

[​IMG]

I have used two switched to simulate the auto top up and timer and 3 bulbs to simulate the 3 pumps

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

could of saved you a lot of effort,,continuos water change in previous test was rubbish dude

8. reefloat

reefloat Registered

Reefchange AWC - lot easier :whistling:

9. Neil

Neil Registered

With a normal reef tank I would agree but with a NPS and the amount of food that will be feed its needed

10. screwloose

screwloose Registered

ahh i missed the nps bit,

i remember mitch's being a slow downhil progression once he added the continuos WCS

11. Neil

Neil Registered

Was that because of doing that or some other problem as I know to well that a tank can look fine one day and with out doing anything different it goes down hill and sorry to say that is the nature of reef keeping

12. Neil

Neil Registered

I was using my own system like yours (but I was doing it before you) but that's changing a large amount of water at once this is for changing small amounts hourly or even less

13. micky

micky Registered

14. Smithyboi32

Smithyboi32 Registered

Iv been thinking of doing a diy waterchanger ... I have a PLC and a few contactors but just too much going on for my head to deal with programming it at the moment lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice