1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Auto top up?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by afeltham, Jul 21, 2017.

1. afeltham

afeltham Registered

Okay. Tonight's job is installing an auto top up. Nice little device. ( TMC V2 )

However, I can't see how it'll work in this tank ( see photo ).

It's a nice large section so you can keep lots of water in it ( I assume ) however isnt it always going to siphon? The water level will always be higher than that of the level by the return pump.

Of course I could put less in the reserve tank but that seems to defeat the point.

Is it just me? Anyone else got got a eaReef 900s?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. merser

merser Registered

So long as the end of the tube is higher than the top water level it cannot siphon. I effective have the same thing with a tall container next to my reefer. I had to attach the end of the pipe to the top of a reactor to make sure it didn't siphon. Works like a dream though.

Be careful with the tmc, they have great form for failing. Personally I would never touch a float switch again. They just break ALL the time. Gordon at [MENTION=12861]reefloat[/MENTION] does a cracking infra red sensor atu if you fancy an upgrade.

Jamie

3. afeltham

afeltham Registered

Okay. Thanks ks for the tip about the TMC.

As an idea, what are people's thoughts on putting a digital socket timer on the plug for the auto top up? With that in place I could set it to only come on for 5 minutes each day and at a time im around to watch it or notice if it overflows.

Ta

4. merser

merser Registered

If you're worried about it over flowing you may be better just setting it up as normal and having only a couple of litres in the reservoir. That way if (which I think is unlikely) the system somehow fails, you will only dump a relatively small amount into the tank.

Adding a timer switch - which are again ridiculously unreliable ime- just complicates the system. You'd be as well just turning the power on when you're around rather than a timer.

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice