1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Atm colony

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sarahcambo, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

so I've heard many things about this product and wanted to know everyone's views on it? Good /bad, waste of time? Hit me!

2. penzo

penzo Registered

Not used it,but believe its very very good.

3. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

I'm wondering, if I use it do I still need to use Purigen and Phosguard? Do I overstock it with the product or do you advise doing it the" old fashioned way " as it were and doing everything gradually ?

4. Andi

Andi Registered

I've used it several times and now don't set up without it! Just 'bang' it in & off you go! Just read the instructions! Oh, and you can't overdose it!

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

5. merser

merser Registered

As Andi says. It's brilliant. For a long while it seemed the old schoolers and the ATM haters tried to give it grief but you cannot argue with the science. The simple fact is that it works.

I've used it successfully on several tanks with zero issues. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Other equivalent products are available too but personally is use this stuff.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Never used it myself, however like above I have read good reports from it, myself personally use Zeo Bak when setting up, its expensive for sure, but it works also.

7. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

So do I still need Phosguard etc ? Do I bang it in and stick some fish in too? Or a coral? Help!

8. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Water up to temp, Add rock, add colony and add fish job done. Phosguard has not part to play but always good practice to run phosphate remover anyhow. Just make sure any skimmer or UV is turned off for 5 days after adding colony.

Loads of videos on youtube.

9. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

Thank you, so instead of adding my cleanu up crew tomorrow would u suggest adding colony and putting a few chromis in instead?

10. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

clean up crew and fish along with colony.

Where are you up to with regards to the tank? Are you using live rock or the newer artifical stuff?

11. warby

warby Registered

I didn't think you could put cuc in straight away with colony? I was under the impression you put the fish in and add the colony then it takes about 5days for the bacteria to settle then add colony once your nitrate comes down? (Just going off what a mate said he added colony then after about 5 days his nitrate was between 50-100 on salifert. I wouldn't have thought inverts would be able to cope with that?

Could however be completely wrong and it wouldn't be the first time lol

sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

12. Andi

Andi Registered

Don't worry about nitrates and your CUC they'll be fine! Only real time nitrates are a major problem is with SPS and then only if they're suddenly introduced to high readings.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

13. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

Using live rock, don't have a skimmer yet but have two wave makers and I have Phosguard and Purigen , live rock has been in about three to four weeks now , another question is once I've used colony do I need to keep using it or can it be a one off?

14. merser

merser Registered

One off Sarah.

15. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

Thanks everyone, guess it's worth a try then!

16. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

Is it ok with corals?

17. merser

merser Registered

Yes it's fine. It just bacteria. Although you don't want coral in at the beginning as you cycle the tank using colony. Just the colony and fish. You'll be fine if you follow the instructions. Loads of videos on you tube too.

Jamie

18. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

ok little issue here, with the live rock being in already for 3 weeks in poses the risk of ammonia already being present in the system. I would test your water 1st before doing anything.

You dont want ammonia present in the water already when adding fish, as their is lag period before the ATM colony kicks in.

19. Sarahcambo

Sarahcambo Registered

I did think that because it's already been cycling, might just leave it another couple of weeks instead , how long do u guys generally wait before adding fish? I've got three hermits and two turbos in there already

20. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Have you been testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice