1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Asterina stars eating my zoas?!?!???

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Enzogobby, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Hi, as per title really....so I have a problem here? The pics show the star cupped over something and then confirms it was over a zoa....now, the colony is healthy and looked like it was growing; over the past week or two it looks like some have gone....none are or were lose hanging and open fine, unless there's a bloody asterina over them.

So, are these little beggers actually eating them one by one or are they being a fatal pain just by simply cupping over the zoas?
    They dont do this with my green "dragon eye" variety just next door to these and cannot cup over the bigger palys.....anyone able to shed some light? Is this why I've never been able to sustain zoas for a prolonged period of time? Is it Harlequin Shrimp o'clock???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Saltydan

Saltydan Registered

In that second pic, looks like an aiptasia (left hand side) don't know if there are any more

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago where someone (can't remember who) was loosing zoas to astrena stars.
    Turned out there is a type of astrenas that will and do eat zoas.

Bluez_01 likes this.
  4. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Hi...no, no aip on there; that's the asterina I had just got off the zoa polyp and is turned upside down, still in a cup shape!

5. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

If you mean the bigger "flower" on the left, thats just one of the zoas; you can see the same one in first pic..

6. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Hiya; if you can remember or dig out who it was or the thread then please let me know...thanks.

7. merser

merser Registered

I have had this same issue. I also had an interesting debate with a very experienced reef who suggested they don't eat zoas per se but they eat dying flesh.

I disagree. The ones I had like a plague were outrageous.

Bluez_01 likes this.
  8. warby

warby Registered

Some types of asterinas can and do eat zoas. Iv got them in my tank but they don't touch my zoas just eat the adage on the rocks and glass.

9. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Thanks guys; I think mine have turned Zoavor...might be time to introduce a Harlequin into the food chain!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice