1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured AquaOne Skimmer Setup Issues

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by paulwilko10, Aug 23, 2011.

1. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

do you get any of the skim reaching the top of the cone

2. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

I was until i cleaned the cup and now i get what you see !

When i up the water level, i go away and 1 hour later i have a flooded floor

I suppose there is a chance i have a faulty skimmer but i bet its just a setting

3. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

yes matey just a case of ine tuning. leave the water level where it is and give it a day or two and see what happens. only other thing i can think of is make sure the impellor on the pump is clean if you haven't already

4. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Had another leak last night !!!

I had it set a tiny bit higher as it was not producing anything. Anyway all seemed settled for 10 mins then i went away for a while only to come back to about 2 litres of water on my wood floor !!

I am have not set it so low i cant see it ever producing any waste, but we will see !

I am waiting for a guy to come back of holiday at aquaone to help me here as this isnt working as i think it should !!

Thx all

Paul

5. ccrdave

ccrdave Registered

Ok I am no skimmer expert but I have a aquamedic turboflouter 1000 mutli which looks like a very similar design to yours and on mine if I open the flow adjusters it lowers the water level, start to close them off and the water level raises.

I run my water level at about the base of the collection cup from your picture it looks to me as though your water level is too high.

My skimmer doesnt seem to do very much but what it does pull out is very dark and smelly but it takes about three days to get an inch of the smelly stuff in the bottom of the cup. I have a DSB and cheto and do regular water changes, and my tank is not very heavily stocked so I am guessing there is not much for the skimmer to take out. unless of course my skimmer is not working also :-d

HTH

Dave

6. ajwhite82

ajwhite82 Registered

I don't mean to hijack your thread but that skimmer is IDENTICAL to the budget skimmer i have just bought (boyu/jad dg-2516) my water level/bubbles don't even reach the collection cup, is this due to the 'breaking in period' also this is a new tank with only 2 hermits and 1 blue damsel, is this normal for a new skimmer? Again i apologize for interrupting this thread!

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I new skimmer will take a while to bed in, a while can be hours, days or even weeks.
    If your tank is new, and your stocking is low, then you may not have much to skimm yet.
    James

8. r1ooster

r1ooster Registered

9. r1ooster

r1ooster Registered

10. sick2death

sick2death Registered

I dont suppose when the water level drops in the sump your changing the flow input via the red dials to get the water level in the skimmer where it was when the sump had more water in?

And then, adding water back into the sump, but not reducing the flow into the skimmer?

Probably not, but worth asking!

Eitherway, imho, the water level is the skimmer is too high, personally id run it really low, give it a few days, and then gradually increase it. As it stands all youve got is WAY too much, as its obviously overflowing.

If the water level in the sump is affecting the skmmers performance, tryu and keep on top of it more. Adding RO due to evapouration more regularly or an auto top up.

Good luck eitherway!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice