1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured AquaOne Skimmer Setup Issues

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by paulwilko10, Aug 23, 2011.

1. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Hiya All

I have recently swapped my RSM 130 for a 275ltr AquaOne Cube

I have never dealt with a sump and external skimmer before, so this is all fairly new to me.

Anyway, I have the Skimmer (AquaOne G220)hanging on the side of my sump.
    [​IMG]
    The 2 foam pads you see are half in the water and the pump is fully submerged.

I have the water level appx 1 inch above the bottom of the cone in the collection cup as I understand that is the best place for it.

Sometimes I have bubbles dribbling over the edge and into the cup and sometimes I simply have no bubbles anywhere near the top of the cone.

When the water level drops in the sump, the water line in the cone also drops and vice versa meaning i am struggling to keep it constant.

Anyway last night when i topped my water up, an hour later i had a flood where the skimmer had over flowed and my wood floor is looking pretty damaged

So I am struggling to get a happy medium, any advice please ?

Should i put the skimmer in the sump and not over hang it ?

What else could I do ?

I cleaned the cup last night and as of this morning, not one tiny bit has been collected, almost as if i have no waste in the tank !!

I have 2 clowns, Midas Blennie, 2 clown gobies, yasha goby and a tiny Regal.
    Surely there is enough there to produce some waste for the skimmer ?

Its been running appx 2 months now

Cheers

Paul

2. Sip

Sip Registered

Are the red knobs the flow rate adjustment. If so its like my turbofloater, Open them right up to start, The little mark on mine points away from the skimmer both sides. Let it run a day or so and then reduce the flow rate untill it suits your tanks needs, Im running a wet skim at the moment and have the marks on the adjusters towards the skimmer. This allows water to collect in the cup along with the waste, To dry skim all i do is open them fully the other way and hey presto no water, Just foam..
    ps if you can get the skimmer in the sump then go for it, this means if the cup overflows then it will just spill into the sump. Make sure it doesnt get full of waste then spill into the sump or you will have major issues..Mines sits outside the sump btw.. No problems with it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

the skimmer will need a few days to bed in. Once that has happened it should start to foam up. couple that with the advice given above and i can't see you going wrong

4. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Yes those red knobs do seem to make the water line go up or down, so i assume it is the flow you mention
    If however i open them right up, it will overflow big time. I also have an airline which is fully open

5. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Its been running 2 months

Does it need a couple of days after cleaning the cup ?

6. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

normaly within an hour or 2 after the cup has been cleaned to be honest. Is there enough air getting into the reaction chamber?. Try increasing the water level slightly in the skimmer, Main need some more fine tuning to get it right

7. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

I very nervous to raise it due to it flooding last time i did it

Could it literally be lack of waste in the tank ?
    I am going home for lunch in a min or two, will see if any change

What about the fact it goes up and down in the cone depending on water level in sump ?
    Anything i can do about that ?

8. Sip

Sip Registered

It should matter the level in the sump bud, Its pump driven so it will pump its volume regardless of whats in the sump. All it does is take water from the chamber clean it then return it, Im no skimmer expert but it doesnt seem right, Try opening the valves fully and see what happens. You can actually remove them while the skimmer is running without any issues just twist and pull them up at the same time, When you see how they work with the cutouts you will have a better understanding of how it operates if noting else.. Si

9. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Ok Mate, I will try opening them right up and see what occurs

Cheers

10. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

i surpose the high the level of water in the sump would be the the pump doesn't have to work as hard ie not working as hard. is the chamber filled with air bubbles, ie looks lkie milk almost

11. Sip

Sip Registered

Take them out paul and have a good look at them... peice of ****. honestly

12. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

it looks very much like the jad 1516 that i had driven buy a 1000ltr needle wheel pump. worked well for a bit then stopped lol. i'm using a compact 500 not great but as a stop gap skimmer seems to be pulling scum out very well, seems alot better than the classic v2 range ever was.

13. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Take what out ?

Jyst opened the red knobs up and it overflowed so had to turn them down straight away

14. Sip

Sip Registered

I meant take the adjuster out but switch the skimmer off 1st.. You will be able to see how they adjust the water flow.. Its way easier to set up when you can see whats going on internally if that makes sense.. The adjusters should just twist and pull up and out..

15. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Ok, but I am guessing they just open and close to let water in ?

Didn't have time at lunch time, so will give it a go tonight however surely i just need to get the waterline in the cone to the correct height through fiddling with the red knobs ?

Is there any reason why you would not hav ethe air line fully open ?

Paul

16. Sip

Sip Registered

My air line is fully open all the time bud.. No clue to that one .. Sorry

17. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Ok matey, thx for all your help everyone, I will play with it tonight as when i went home, there was no sign of any bubbles getting anywhere near the top of the cone even though the water line is appx 1" into the cone as i was told to do !!

18. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

sounds like not enough air is getting into the pump or reaction chamber. sometimes salt can block the ventri had that with tmc and the jad

19. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

I can open the valves to let more water in, but that makes me nervous about it overflowing !!

Just need to get that happy medium

20. paulwilko10

paulwilko10 Registered

Here is a pic of the collection cup at lunch time.
    The brown stuff is just left from when i cleaned it and not new at all

As you can see, the water line is where it is meant to be according to Aquaone. Also you can see that the bubbles are way below the top of the cup meaning nothing is being pulled out

The bubbles are just little popping ones and not like soap suds as people say they should be

Thoughts ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice