1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anyone work in Health and Safety?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by heller792, Feb 23, 2014.

1. heller792

heller792 Registered

As per title, recently sat my NEBOSH general cert and I now intend to sit my construction and fire certs before moving towards the diploma. Problem is nearly every job asks for a few years experience so how the hell you meant to enter the sector????? :w00t:

Dave

2. Moneydownthecouch

Moneydownthecouch Registered

I'll speak to a sort of colleague tomorrow who's a H&S director, see what he says

3. heller792

heller792 Registered

Cheers Mr Phil, I knew you had your uses lol

4. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

hate health and safety, its way over the top in the uk and has cost the uk construction industry a lot of jobs.

have worked in Belgium where all the legislation is made and they don't abide by any of it, no accidents occurred and work was twice as productive, that said there has to be some rules in place but not as many as there is.

no disrespect to yourself intended bud, just hate the profession, seen someone fined 7k for being 2 steps up a ladder without a permit, absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  5. heller792

heller792 Registered

ive been hands on in the working at height construction work ive seen amny accidents and many near miss incidents that were swept under the carpet. This country has its fair share of breaking the rules. No offence pal but the industry has saved many lives just in the last ten years. Even if all these rules and costs only save one life then to me its worth it, might even be your life its saved pal!!!!

6. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

no problem, I got out of construction due to health and safety madness, surely you cant agree with an individual being fined for being 2 steps up in a confined area where pop ups and scaffold couldn't be used for a five minute job.

do agree that lives are precious.

7. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

I should add the person who was fined 7k was using the ladders in a safe manner, the fine was more for legislation not being followed.

the biggest problem is that since its the individual that's fined, companys are using a lot of agency staff, and you are told to get on with the work and find a way to do it or go home and not come back. so people take more risks.

8. heller792

heller792 Registered

I really dont belive anyone would be fined for being 2 steps up a ladder unless there was a serious accidnet or really bad circumstances, is it fact or hear say. We had a company in wigan fined 7k for running a pillar drill with no guard and someone lost there finger as a result so thats why im sceptical of what ypur telling me. All fines and prosecution are listed in the hse web site so have a mooch and see if you can find it and it will also state the circumstances of the event and fine.

9. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

double post

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

we were told about the fine by the h and s guy at wigan college extension job during the induction, he was fairly detailed but he may have been scaremongering, but he seemed sincere. think he was emphasising the fact its the individual that's responsible and the fines are hefty.

11. chris@fishmansfrags

[email protected] Registered

12. chris@fishmansfrags

[email protected] Registered

13. heller792

heller792 Registered

was that yhe Bardsley site, how appt that ive just finished my nebosh at wigan college in the new extension

14. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

yep it was dave, fellow who told us was recovering from lung cancer from using mdf, he wanted to ban the stuff.

15. heller792

heller792 Registered

sometimes people get mixed up with political correctness and health and safety. As far as my opinion goes you only to look at how many are not being killed in construction these days by comparison 10 years ago or pre health amd safety at work act.

16. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

h and s need to look into the fact agency staff are being forced into bad situations or they simply don't get the work, I have experienced this a few times myself, I go see supervisor and ask for relevant permit and then get told cant have a permit till day after as its past the current days cut off time and to get on with the job or f-off home and don't come back, now when you have family to provide for and need the money, you are then forced into a compromising situation, the boss doesn't give a ***** as its the individual person that's fined not them unless there negligence can be proved.

17. heller792

heller792 Registered

but that door swings 2 ways pal, yes permit procedures can be a pain and i understand where your coming from. On the other hand the persons boss would of or should of been made aware of the permit time cut offs and relayed that back to the staff. If he wasnt aware then its his business to find out the procedures before he sends staff in to do a job.
    i understand the frustrations and i understand the pros and i hope when i do find a way into health and safety i can take a common sense approach. As far as permits go i can tell you story's of people being baked in ovens and young apprentices being suffocated in collapsed trenches because of rushed permits. Good and bad stories for all arguments

18. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Well I'm all for it,
    We have a groundworks and construction company albeit it's only small, myself my partner and the four chaps we employ. We've spent a small fortune over the last 4 years ensuring that between us we hold all the relevant CPCS tickets for any machinery, cat and geny, abrasive wheels, confined spaces as well as completing the SSSTS supervisors course. Occasionally (depending on the value of the contract and the client) we employ a freelance H&S dude to visit the site, evaluate and score our performance and we then pass this on to the client.
    I'm convinced that what it costs is worth every penny because what clients want is not just for people to work in a safe manner but to be seen to be working in a safe manner.
    As far as RAMS and permits go, some might say there a waste of paper and time but they do force people into the mind set of thinking about the safest way to do something.

two years ago whenever I filled out a tender form for say a local authority there was never a section for maintaining adequate health and safety,,££ there is now. So if you've got a boss who wants you to work without adequate protection or go home,, then go find the nearest bus stop.
    Not only is it his responsibility for you to be safe, chances are he's getting paid for you to do so.

19. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

all good and well saying that but when you struggle to find work and need the money, the bus stop isn't an option.

this was the reason im no longer an industrial electrician, couldn't cope with it all.

now if I could find permanent employment with a reputable company in my profession, then health and safety wouldn't bother me.

in the meantime I will stick to fixing computers and consoles.

20. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

dave I like those words "common sense", true shame there isn't enough of it about.

anyway im bowing out of this before I rile anyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice