• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Anyone Vodka Dosing?

steve861uk

Registered
Have been swatting up on this and feel ready to give it a go, would be interested to know other reefers experiences (good/bad) with this.

The article I read was here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

Am using nopox, but why? When I can get some happy juice for less monies (plus I can dose myself as well as the tank :aaaaa:= surely a win/win solution, hick! :risas3:).

cuprajake

Registered
tbh, if the nopox is working, i wouldnt switch.

its a different type of bacteria as there different sources of carbon. your going to have to wean off nopox, then start fresh with the vodka,

how much nopox do you dose a day?

in the grand scheme its not costly

steve861uk

Registered
tbh, if the nopox is working, i wouldnt switch.

its a different type of bacteria as there different sources of carbon. your going to have to wean off nopox, then start fresh with the vodka,

how much nopox do you dose a day?

in the grand scheme its not costly

3ml per day on my 50g tank, but have only just started the nopox (again), my No3 is around 5 and Po4 0.02

But I can't drink nopox :(

shady

Staff member
Used to use Vodka dosing on an old tank and it worked very well, but as above, if one method is working for you why change it.

steve861uk

Registered
Used to use Vodka dosing on an old tank and it worked very well, but as above, if one method is working for you why change it.

The article seems to state there is no need for supplemental phosphate removal (i.e. a reactor) as the vodka dosing will reduce both No3 and Po4 to near undetectable.

My philosophy is nothing ventured/nothing gained, so am willing to give it a try to see if it improves growth rates/colour in my tank. If it does not then I will return to what I'm doing now, if it works then will keep at it :)

My tanks been running for 7 months now and I believe the colours and growth rates can be improved upon - like others it has had it's ups and downs (GHA, etc..), but was wondering if this method could work for me.

cuprajake

Registered
its all carbon dosing,

all it does is keep n03/p04 down (redfield factor for dosing is 106 carbon/16nitrate/1pohospahte) if your levels dont fall into this ratio then you will get issues.

it wont improve on colours, for that you need to look at your supliments and your lights on the tank, lighting can play a massive role on colour,

steve861uk

Registered
its all carbon dosing,

all it does is keep n03/p04 down (redfield factor for dosing is 106 carbon/16nitrate/1pohospahte) if your levels dont fall into this ratio then you will get issues.

it wont improve on colours, for that you need to look at your supliments and your lights on the tank, lighting can play a massive role on colour,

Thanks for the redfield info :) I've increased my lighting as well, which will hopefully give some improvement soon.

steve861uk

Registered
what light are you using? what schedule?

I have TMC AquaRay AquaBeam 600 Ultima x4 lights (2x Reef White, 1x Fiji Blue and 1x Reef Blue) all on a multi-controller.

Blues are on at 0600hrs and off at 2300hrs they ramp up/down over a 4 hour period to 90% (so at 90% from 1000 till 1900)
Whites are on at 0900hrs and off at 1900hrs they ramp up/down over a 4 hour period to 80% (so at 80% from 1300 till 1500)

Height of lights to sps is approx. 14 inches to bottom of tank is approx. 26 inches

I've only recently gradually increased the lighting intensity as I had an algae issue a while ago (now gone :)), my lights used to be only set at - 45% whites and 65% blues

cuprajake

Registered
fwiw corals use the blue more than the white, white is just for our veiwing pleasure, ive seen a study were they had the lights yo yoing up and downa nd saw improved growth