1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anyone vodka dosing these days?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by BigLarry, Nov 23, 2012.

1. BigLarry

BigLarry Registered

Doesn't seem to be talked a lot as it does say on the American sites, just wondered if many did it on here.

I've been at it for about 3 weeks now so early days but no negative effects apart from a skimmer cup full of crude oil every other day. Could be placebo but I think my colours are coming a bit better, especially in my plates which where looking almost bleached.

Currently on 2.1ml of 40% proof a day in 300 litres.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  2. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Re: Anyoen vodka dosing these days?

Now im glad some one else has mentioned this as i was wondering what are the pros & cons. A lot of peopledont like the nopox but dont realise this is a form of carbon dosing & many dont do it right, dont give it enough time, & then when something does go wrong they blame that. Anyway to get back on track, i have a nitrate reactor sat doingnothing & im wondering wether to give it a whirl just to see the out come. My nitrate never seems to get above 6 because i use cheato iv no other filteration so stripping the nitrate may kill off the cheato.

3. BigLarry

BigLarry Registered

My nitrates are so low I can't get a reading on the Salifert (it's clear) and my phosphates are also low *but* after my xenia erradication I've had a bit of a bloom so there just has to be organics in the water causing it whether the test kits say or not.

That's why I started dosing V. I have also had to start skimming which I didn't do either. So far my chaeto and caulerpa has continued to flourish in the sump. At the moment I'm not using my doser for the vodka, just syringing in the required amount when I get in from work - strangely satisfying.

I do think my colours are coming stronger in SPS and LPS.

4. StarfishEnterprise

So now i am def interested.

Did you find you needed to skimmer? Iv no skimmer now & i really dont want one again.

Just where exactly are you syringing the dosage? Not your arm lol?

5. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i think once yu bottom out you halve the dose dude,,

it defo works though,,i rememeber having to never clean the glass...mmh makes me wonder why i stopped..lol

6. StarfishEnterprise

Whats the recommended dose?
    Did you notice any side effects? No drunk fish lol

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

there are charts floating round,,i think you start at 0.1ml per 100l per day,,then build up slowly until nutrients get low,,then you halve and maintain

8. liam0

liam0 Registered

What brand vodka do people use? My nitrates need a drink...........

9. SH4UN

SH4UN Registered

i have seen this many times never tried it i will give it a go i done use any skimmer just DSB and cheato and loads of rock
    i will try it i dont drink so it wont be easy going to buy vodka
    i will start on 0.1ml per 100l like screwloose said though to be on safe side

10. scarytoastmonster

scarytoastmonster Registered

Ive been vodka dosing for couple months now. Water is crystal clear and nitrates are quickly vanishing. From what I remember its recommended you run powerful skimmer and don't use with DSB. Can't remember exact reasoning for no DSB but pretty sure was a no go.

11. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

The issue is

If the Nitrates and Phosphates are high

introducing a Carbon food source to quickly. creates a bacterial bloom, removing Oxygen and Carbonate hardness very quickly

The tank can crash, due to Ph dropping quickly and low ORP

This is why you are advised to start with a low dose and a skimmer to help the ORP and remove excess bacteria

Carbon dosing is very effective, however the underlining causes of high organics have to be addressed as well

i have done Vodka dosing without a Skimmer and. with a DSB, this is not without risk !
    it was Used it to help mature the tank by increasing the bacteria, by Adding Zeo Bak at the same time

The Organics were low as it was a new tank

On the old system I had an issue which was traced to poor RO water Vodka resolved the Organics and Cyno bloom, a skimmer was being used

In the Chemistry section you can find more information on this topic

12. Mayo

Mayo Registered

I'm into my fourth week of vodka dosing using Melev's Reefs Guide http://www.melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html I'm currently on 3.5ml per day. Haven't noticed any ill effects or blooms. I believe the blooms are caused by adding too much in one go. I use a 50ml syringe with a tap connected for a slow dip, I split my dose up into 3 doses per day diluted in 50ml of water.
    Iv been using tesco's own vodka.
    When I started I bought a new Salifert test kit and that read 0.75-1.0:eek: now it's down to 0.5:clap:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  13. dexter

dexter Registered

i`m vodka dosing , been dosing now for 8 weeks. using 2.5ml every day (on a 600l tank) and my nitrates have dropped from 40 to 20.

14. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

ive just stopped for the second time, whenever i get my nitrates under 10 my lps suffer like mad.

15. scarytoastmonster

scarytoastmonster Registered

My understanding of this is that due to being less nutrients in the water the LPS will need more disciplined target feeding.

16. BigLarry

BigLarry Registered

My understanding is you must skim otherwise there's nowhere for the gunk to be "exported to" and you just get a big build up.

I'm up to 2.1ml per day in 300l. Water clarity is definitely better, it's like there's no water in the tank if you get what I mean.

17. StarfishEnterprise

Iv suspended my dosing a few days in as iv just switched calcium reactor off & gone to Balling, i want to await results before clouding the issue with vodka.
    Keen to start though, hoping to eliminate the phos reactor & just have a small skimmer.

18. slash_halen

slash_halen <span style="color:#088A4B">SPS Help & Advice

I had great results with vodka dosing, very effective. I've been using nopox now for quite a long while and i personally think its fantastic, i dose 4ml per day on a 650 litre tank.

Carbon dosing is definitely the way to go if you have a small sump. On my next build i'm having a massive sump with MM :)

19. Simon@coralsworkshop

[email protected] Registered

i thought that if you just stop, you stave the bacteria and it all dies suddenly which can cause a crash. i thought you had to wean the tank off to prevent cold turkey.:crazy: [MENTION=11380]Neil[/MENTION] did i remember that right or am i confused again fella?

20. algee

algee Registered

No but id be open to it if there is enough info on the subject

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice