1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anyone used Aquatics To Your Door

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by [email protected], Feb 7, 2011.

1. NMay@AquaParadise

[email protected] Registered

2. blackjack666

blackjack666 Registered

i used to for cichlids - got peeved with putting in orders for a phonecall a few hours later to tell me it was out of stock then having to then mess about deciding on soemthing else over the phone or waiting 3 days for a refund! more than once ended up with the wrong fish too! they used to operate under 4 different names then when they moved premises they changed to just this one..... never tred them for marines and TBH most good stores will actually ship stock anyway :) southwest marines wins hands down for me if you want shipped stock

3. NMay@AquaParadise

i didnt realise southwest marines ships stock :eek:

4. blackjack666

blackjack666 Registered

phone em, speak to matt and ask nice! can get pretty much any stock u want if you ont mind waiting :)

5. blackperc

blackperc Registered

Ive used them for marine fish, all arrived alive and well and was very pleased with service. The only problem I found was I ordered some ghost cardinals that didnt feed and lost 5 out of 6 over the next week. The guy said they were feeding his end, but I only had his word for it and of course never saw it for myself so had to take him at his word. I dont think they were feeding and possibly were freshly imported and consequently died soon after.

6. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

I personally would never buy fish mail order as you cant be sure that they are healthy and its always better to see them feeding which you wont be able to do

7. blackjack666

blackjack666 Registered

really? so what about the majority of fish stores that have stocked shipped to them direct / collect from airports?

8. Marine Life UK

Thats fine and dandy as they will have losses or fish that are not at a saleable standard which are exceptable in the scheme of things but as a customer do you accept that there may be losses , some would say no im sure.
    I like to pick my fish (for my personal tank im talking) and see them swimming around and eating but thats just my opinion.

9. blackjack666

blackjack666 Registered

know where yur coming from! thats why i suggested SWM... atleast then i know matt will be sending out a strong healthy fish

10. Marine Life UK

im not saying dont use them at all just I wouldnt.

Im very picky with my fish and it can take me months to get the one I want, even if they have what im after it doesnt always result in a sale

11. NMay@AquaParadise

must admit i generally never check a fish is feeding before taking it home, if a shop wants to stay in business they wont get away with selling fish that are unfit for purpose. even a fish that eats in a shop can get stressed out in a tank and refuse to eat, which is also why i keep a supply of a variety of foods including live, frozen and way to many tubs of flake/pellets

12. Viking

Viking Registered

Seconded. I'll drive miles to collect (or deliver) rather than subject my stock to someone elses idea of careful handling. I did North Yorks to Norwich and back one day to deliver a pair of Clowns, and collect a different pair. The pair I delivered to someone went pretty much straight into their breeding behaviour and spawned within a few days I seem to remember. I doubt that would be the case if they were thrown around in a couriers van overnight.

There's more to shipping livestock than it just arriving. :-d

13. chrispur

chrispur Registered

yes and please do not buy koi carp from them as i did half of them turned up with popeye 2 turned up with fin rot and i have yet to see how the others are.another thing is i ordered standard grade but what turned up is what new forest koi would call c grade.and new forest koi are actually better quality and cheaper and arrived in fantastic health.

14. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Locally known as Charlwood Aquatics, I believe they bought "Aquatics to your door" and continued to maintain that site.
    Bought some nice bits from them, and they do sometimes do some funky items, box fish and so on.
    However I bought locally so never concerned with transportation.

15. Aldric

Aldric Registered

ive bought 3 fish from them and each time the fish have been well protected and very healthy and had no problem with them feeding

16. rocket22uk

rocket22uk Registered

Last week I ordered a medium naso tang, small regal tang and royal gramma from aquatics to your door. The Naso tang did not look healthy from the start. The other 2 fish were fine after acclimatisation but the Naso tang was not it spent all its time behind a rock. I split the tank in 2 just in case the other fish were stressing him out but he still would not feed and died 3 days later.My tank had plenty of algae and I checked all water parameters daily. I tried all different live food, algae packs, nori, frozen food and pellets and put them in a garlic soak to try and encourage the tang to eat. I e-mailed them before he died to ask for advice and told them what I had done so far their response was I had tried everything they would suggest and he would probably be fine in a few days. Obviously not as he died later that day.

17. CfcMicky

CfcMicky Registered

DON'T EVEN BOTHER! I ordered RED PLATYS and got RED SUNSET PLATYS! They have alot of colouring up to do yet and look very pale but I couldn't just throw them out considering what kind of journey they but they were well packed all the same. I also ordered yellow snakeskin guppies and thier tails were ripped to bits and and one died that night. Now all the platys have ick anyway and it's spreading around the tank fast so I have had to start sorting that out. I am very very cross and will complain now

18. CfcMicky

CfcMicky Registered

Oh yeah and one had fin rot!

19. chris

chris Registered

I like Adrian would not buy a fish on mail order as i like to see them first even corals so i dont use them and i dont think i ever will as i would rather travel 200 miles to get what i want as its worth it in the end. chris

20. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Great 1st post, a complaint, not that it's not deserved just a nice 1st post & welcome to The Salty Box :rolleyes:

sent from S3 using tapatalk2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice