1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anyone kept Sun Corals?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Whipitup, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I bought some on Sunday............

After they were put in the tank, they looked like this:

[​IMG]

I have not seen them open yet, but tonight they look like this:

[​IMG]

They "look" like they are about to open, so good I guess.

So the question, is it normal for them to take a while to settle in?

2. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

mine all opened up straight away, first evening that is. especially if you put food in. D&D paste used to trigger a response.

3. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Plenty of food added Ben, including D+D paste, triggers a response from all the other corals, but not the suns yet :-(

4. davyboy1970

davyboy1970 Registered

Before you brought it do you know when they was fed last as the flesh looks sunken into the skeleton, try putting a half cut bottle with vent holes over it and squirt some food over it and the polyps will come out.

5. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Keep up with regular target feeding, even if they arent open, they WILL come out if you keep at it. Try and get into a routine, just before lights out, and then once feeding bring it forward a little each day. They will begin to anticipate the feed and hopefully, given time will be out during the day.

6. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I'm new to these, and yes, with hindsight it was, but has improved over the last couple of days.

7. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Hi Paul!!...............will do mate.

8. Andi

Andi Registered

About half an hour before I wanted to feed them I used to cut up a small piece of frozen rotifers and just put in the tank to defrost, the sun corals always opened up virtually straight away, allowing me to target feed them! Keep them fed at least every other day or they start to fade away quite rapidly.

9. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I had some a few years ago and kept them in low flow and low light,they did well for a while but gradually died off

10. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Ive got some on the bottom of my tank, around 40 heads I would guess, I don't target feed them because im too lazy to be honest, my tank gets fed around 4pm everyday, and I can set my watch by the sun coral to come out around 5.45pm-6pm every night, I tried to target feed them for the first month or so, to try and alter the feeding pattern on it, but it plainly refused to adapt, so now I leave it as it wants to be, the way I see it, is if its hungry when I feed the tank (d&d paste and mysis) at 4pm it will sense it and open up (main pumps go off for 40 mins during feeding) if not its obviously content to take up whatever is in the water at 6pm and throughout the night.

Doesn't seem to be unhappy with this routine, and is still developing new heads, so I leave it to its own devices.

11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

There are mine right now:

[​IMG]

Just added a blob a Reef paste right above them (you can just see it in the picture) pumps on as low as they will go (to give some current).

Lets see if they come out now!!

12. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

I always found they liked lots of flow. In the wild they live in high flow areas to bring lots of food to them. If he is not opening, moving him to increased flow area may help, Always did the trick with ours

13. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

ive kept yellows, oranges and blacks, blacks were the hardest.

I had the yellow and oranges spawn all over an old tank, had baby suns everywhere, even in the weir and sump, found a load on the inside of the drain pipe when I closed the system down.

I fed them Mysis and rotis from frozen blister packs, the half a coke bottle idea works, but if being stubborn I sometimes floated a bowl of tankwater at night and put Mysis and rotis in and gave it a stir every now and then with the coral in the bowl.

14. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Well, they didn't open last night, but looked like they were about too......maybe tonight.

15. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cant find any of the baby ones.

16. Rory2005

Rory2005 Registered

damn that didn't work, anyone know how to change the urls into pictures please?

17. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

I wouldn't be panicking yet roger, they are still probably settling in and adjusting to the surroundings, took about 3 weeks for mine to start to open up, but only some of them would open while others remained closed, then the ones that were open would close and the others would open a bit, I found the baby heads opened the most, and didn't really have any set pattern to them (I guess they need feeding more) the bigger heads on some would only open up a little for a start, which I think is enough for them to filter water and grab whatever they wanted.

As long as there is some fine particle food passing by them (food placed up stream to them) they will start to come out, slowly but surely, but I wouldn't add this every day/night, as corals only really feed when they are hungry, so if its filtering out its food from the water, then it doesn't really need to come out fully to get a full belly... :)

18. tanktests

tanktests Registered

Getting them to open up for food after not being fed for a long period is the hard part, once they are well fed and in a routine its quite easy to get them to open up.

What I've found works best is to feed, but to keep the sent of food in the water for as long as possible. Red plankton seemed to work well. Adding little bits over the course of an evening so the sun coral gets to sense the food.

19. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

They dont look unhealthy at the minute so not overly concerned, I'll continue feeding as I have for the time being, but like the idea of keeping food in the water column as long as possible, that seemed to almost work last night.

20. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

So, it's 2.26 a flucking m, and I cant sleep, but it;s given me the oportunity to see the Suns way after lights went out, and, there is some evidence of the smaller polyps opening:

[​IMG]

I fed the corals with D+D Reef paste tonight, so it looks like that's the way to go..............fingers crossed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice