1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anyone got any............

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by liam0, Sep 30, 2012.

1. liam0

liam0 Registered

Anyone got links on dosers and salts? Just want to know how much additives is used for how much water volume etc?

Cheers.

2. screwloose

screwloose Registered

3. liam0

liam0 Registered

Just read it and at no stage does it say 'ball ache'?

4. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

On your size tank if your planning on having real corals get a calcium reactor

5. Neil

Neil Registered

For the doser see LittleOcean Aquatic products - Kamoer Triple Dosing Pump

chemicals are down to you some use the cheap lap grade, some use tank tests and others use FM salts

as for how much people dose there is a lot more then just water volume to it like what salt your using and how much/often you do water changes and coral, fish load

6. liam0

liam0 Registered

Got one rob, just keep having issues with it and thinking dosing will be easier. From what I've read anyway. Haven't got a doser yet, just need to see how much I'll be dosing and how much it will cost me ish.

7. robb1977

What reactor have you got?
    Dosing is fairly easy but on your size tank if you go sps will get quite expensive.

8. liam0

liam0 Registered

Cheers Neil, I'm just seeing what people are dosing in their systems and that will give me an idea then. Like 100ml in 500 litres with sps etc etc.

9. liam0

liam0 Registered

TMC 1500 mate, the pump on it isn't strong enough to feed the reactor so I got a parallelogram pump and that's causing it to either drain or pop. Can't win with the mofo.

10. robb1977

Flog it and buy a korallin and a peri pump, problem solved. Then about a tenners worth of jumbo media every year

11. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

I agree with Rob...balling your tank when/if you have if full of corals will get very very expensive. At the very least I would start making your own salts from the get go rather than buying them. But I would persist with the reactor. Is the co2 building up causing it to"pop"...are you running a probe/monitor/controller?

12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

your probblem is you got a poundland reactor IMHO ;)... still love ya :)

13. Carlos

Carlos Registered

I did say this morning about dosing being more on Liams. did you see the links mate on 25GK bags @ £29.99 Cal and ALK £25.99

Carl

14. liam0

liam0 Registered

It's the media choice too though dude, people's systems seem to use different amounts of alk and calcium and people still get fluctuations in one or the other.

I would mix my own anyways dude, the links that carl has sent me seem cheap enough but it's how long they will last. That's why I wana know how much people are dosing in what volume with what corals.

I'm running the reactor on a controller and co2 isn't an issue. It's because the peri pump fills it and doesn't stop.

15. liam0

liam0 Registered

Real reactors for my sized tank are waaaaaay too expensive though dude, and don't come up second hand often. I knows you loves me more than anyfink in the world, you is only human :wink:

Yeah mate, just need to know how long those bags would last.... If they're going to last months then happy days, if they're going to last days then I'm going to Burscough for some ultra toadstools.

16. Neil

Neil Registered

On my 400 litre LPS / SPS I was hardly dosing anything for mag and calc but 110ml per day for alk that works out at 11grams of bicarb per day that would work out just over 4KG per year

17. Carlos

Carlos Registered

There 25KG buckets mate, will last sometime IMO,

Carl

18. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

I have a mate with a 12ft tank. He uses 1kg of Alk every 10 days. He doesnt use a lot of mag or calc due to doing serious water changes very frequently.

HTH

19. liam0

liam0 Registered

cheers dude

Is that a fully stocked tank Matt?

Might just give it a go and see if it maintains it. It's going to be a while before I'm at high usage levels, the reactor is just putting me off keeping SPS atm. Only added a handful and it just keeps having issues.

20. naca

naca Registered

balling on a large tank is a defo no no money wise mate, i did it on my last tank and there were not that many corals and i was using a hell of alot of alk,

P.s answer my pm or im not paying you for those pumps :taunt: they didnt turn up sat ? did you use royal mail ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice