1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured any van mechanics on here ?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Satarion

Satarion Registered

Yes there are 2 cables that you will see and one of them will go to a linkage that sits ontop of the gearbox bell housing you will see it better if you look from the nearside wheel when you find the linkage try and move it by hand back and forth if it wont move then the bushing where the link arm is bolted to the housing is seized

When you find the link arm you will find a long bolt and a nut on the other end undo the nut and hammer out the bolt you may need a small punch to be able to get at it once you have the bolt out just lever out the arm/linkage from where it was attached at the housing so you dont have to dismantle anything internally you may find it easier to remove the nearside wheel first thou so as you can get at it better

Chris

Ps ask any other questions if you need any more help

2. Satarion

Satarion Registered

Sorry forgot to mention it will stop you getting reverse gear as the linkage works the reverse gate it the gearbox.

Chris

3. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers mate,

so basically could be 3 things, all of them cheaper than a gearbox :good:

i am at the workshop tomorrow, and the job i am on will be done by dinner, giving me a couple of hours free to mooch

just got this off the renault forum too, which clearly shows an adjuster under the bit at the bottom of the gearstick

[​IMG]

so that would be my first port of call...

if that doesn't do it, i would really appreciate any help come weekend :thumbup1:

4. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers Chris,

going to try the adjuster first see if i can tighten it ( stretched cable maybe )

so at the very most i would be removing an external arm ? which is what the cable lops in to ? then squirting the bush behind with wd40

so gear selector on top of bell housing, and selector cable on end off bell housing is this correct, ?
    and if so, which do i need to play with top or side ?

as i can easily get at the top one from engine bay, but the one on the side would probably be best tackled with wheel off

5. Satarion

Satarion Registered

I am pretty sure that your problem is what I have already mentioned as it is a common fault with these
    Renault never put any grease inside the bushing from when they were first built so over time they get water ingress from the road and seize up the linkage arm.
    Your picture shows both cables ( there is actually three ) but if you look at the end of the selector cable and the linkage arm is ontop of the gearbox the other ie gearchange cable goes at the back of the gearbox you want to look for the one on the top of the gearbox

Chris

6. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i have seen one tonight on top of gearbox, has a big rubber gaitor on it, prob 3x2 inches

the one on the end looks like its just a cable gator,,ie mini slinky type.

i think its the top one now, from what you say, will have a look tomorrow...

i feel stupid keep confirming the right one..lol ...but dont wanna mess it up,
    i will take off the squareish rubber thing tomorrow and have a look see, if its looks familiar from what you have said,,then will be able to sort it...Big Thumbs Up

if not i will be making Lee brews come weekend :-d

7. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Gotta bow to chris's greater knowledge here Nev, must be honest not really familiar with your model of van. If you need me at weekend just give me a shout and I'll shoot round for look :thumbup:

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

just nice to have help from anybody with knowledge,,as common man ( ie; me) just assumes buggered gearbox at first :rolleyes:

9. Satarion

Satarion Registered

The one with the big rubber boot on it is the gear linkage cable that one is at the back of the gearbox this is not the one
    The one you want is the other one its on the top of the housing take the wheel off and you will see it better

Chris

10. Satarion

Satarion Registered

Whatever you do DONT try and adjust the cable it will only effect your gearing look at the linkage ive mentioned

Chris

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

will do cheers buddy Worship

and its the one on top of the bell housing not the side ?

12. Satarion

Satarion Registered

Yes the top

13. Satarion

Satarion Registered

If your going to look at this tomorrow and you find that this linkage is ok and is not seized then the problem could be at the other end of the cable on the gear lever end on the picture you have posted its the end the has a round hole this fits into a pin on the gear lever and is held in place with a spring clip this clip may have spring off and the cable came detached from the lever.
    If you have to look to see if this is the case you have to undo part of the lower dash panels to be able to get at it.
    But look at the linkage on housing first.
    Im telling you this now as I will not be online till tomorrow night but please feel free to PM me if you need any more advice/help
    Chris

14. screwloose

screwloose Registered

been out in the dark looking strange taking piccies of my engine bay...lol

circled the bit i think you mean to strip back :wink:

ps. i put my fingers under ther tonight, and i actually know the 2 circular things you mean...which is good for me.

but if plan A doesn't work,, then i will removed the plastic cowl so i can see it properly :thumbup1:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  15. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Lol let us know how you get on with it Nev, and just pm me if ya need owt :thumbup1:

16. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers buddy...

gonna try my best tomorrow,,,try the linkage arm thingy,,then the spring clip bits if need be after that,,i should have a full afternoon tomorrow at workshop to try and fix it.
    last thing i really want to do is tie someone up on their day off :wink:
    i don't mind getting my hands dirty, and can do most things once i understand it :-d

i am more happy that at the moment that it looks unlikely to be the gearbox itself.

i know masters have a reputation for problems with the linkages, but didn't realise what that was, i have owned a master for 5 years, and this is the first time i have had a problem in that area

17. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Haha ah ok kool well I hope all go's good pal, must admit I've not had a great amount o experience with Renaults, as our fleets pretty much just mercs now, don't worry about it at weekend, I'd only be sat on my arse at home or fiddling with somethin on the tank that doesn't need messin with haha

18. screwloose

screwloose Registered

sounds like a good weekend for me that Big Thumbs Up

19. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Dont forget you have a skimmer to try and fit in :eek:

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

well didn't fix it today :(

checked all c-clips, after i was unable to find the bolt that Chris has mentioned,

will do a drawing in a bit, and scan it of what i saw, maybe there no bolt on mine...i dunno

if not could possibly just be replcae the cables >?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice