1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured any van mechanics on here ?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Jan 6, 2011.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

soo stressed out now..

got home in my van..and now can't select reverse.....:eek:

been a bit lumpy changing gear for a bit...

its an 02 renault master 2.2 tdci

after a little research found it could be a stretched cable link ?? if it is cable driven then this could make sense if its stretched and can no longer go taught enough to pull reverse..and only just pulling a couple of other gears occasionally.

any help much appreciated...or i'm done for :eek:

cheers

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Registered

If you desperately need to use it maybe don't go down dead ends and be really selective where you park? Not a technical answer I know but hope you sort it.

3. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Isn't that what all women do as they cant reverse? (did you like that Ged) :smile:

4. tommypope

tommypope Registered

could be as simple as a worn linkage or adn poped joint

when you actualy see all the bars working to change gear on a gear box youll be supprised its worked for as long as it has lmao

you only bet is to go to a renault garage but dont book it in go round the back and have a chat with someone in the workshop thay will prob help you

if its something simple thay will probably fix it for you

and i wont cost you more than a beer lmao

5. ladielucie

ladielucie Registered

Hi, you cheeky...... we just don't have to make an issue of parking like you men.

6. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

just getting my clutch repaired from a guy in didsbury mate if you want his number,
    hes very cheap.

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

yer its almost like reverse has dissapeared ???

like the slot has gone,,so a popped/worn ball joint also sounds possible

any info greatly received,,i can do stuff like that myself once i see it,,,but been crapping myself it may be gearbox :eek:

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

will have a look see tomorrow first,,could be an easy fix...hopefully :rolleyes:
    was dark when i got home, so crawling underneath van, was down on my list of priorities...

was hoping a mechanic would be on here and say,,yep,,cable worn,,or yep knuckle joint wear or popped,,as above

Thanks

ps,,or even better a local mechanic,,who works for frags Hysterical

9. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

hehe sorry I was just getting a sexist remark in before Ged did :biggrin:

10. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

isnt lee lcutting a mechanic?

11. tommypope

tommypope Registered

reverse gear usualy uses its own linkage so if this one had poped it wont select but wont effect other gears

screwloose likes this.
  12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

even better as this is the affected gear,,,
    right off to get mi torch out :eek:

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

ok,,,had a mooch

looks to be tiny selector box at base of gearstick..which uses 2 pushrods that go into bulkhead,
    then from bulkhead its 2 cables to the gear box.

i managed to sort of half select reverse, and it would pull slightly from clutch realease, and slowly pull back, but revs made now difference to reverse speed...so not fully engaged...

LEE..WHERE ART THOU ??

14. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Sounds like cable stretch to me Nev, I know it's not the same van but the merc sprinters at work do this quite often with the same symptoms. Is there any linkage on the actual gearbox that you can see an could move by hand perhaps to confirm cables, failing that I'll come have a look at weekend if you want :thumbup:

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers Lee...

it is commercial stuff you do IIRC, yes would lead to cable stretch to me too,

there are 2 cables that go to gear box, but as my son isn't very mechanically minded
    i gave up trying to semi manually engage it, as i like my fingers attached to my hands :eek:

i can tell you the exact layout....

gear stick into a selector box, 2 pushrods out of this..which turns into 2 cables leaving bulkhead, which go straight through to the gearbox then.

when selecting gears, these seem to work together...
    i greased up the selector box with the pushrods last week, as i thought it was occasionally a bit stiff..which did bugger all apart from get all over my hands tonight.

i did get it slightly into revers, whereas if i kept hold of it, it would pull slightly off the clutch enough to slowly roll back, but non responsive to revs, probably because it wasn't full engaged.

any help much appreciated mate, i could come yours if easier, as i also dont have much in the way of any tools,
    do you think it would be possible to wedge a spacer or 2 in, if the cable stretch is the case, then it will at least put me on until i order 2 replacemnent cables,

cheers dude

16. screwloose

screwloose Registered

just had another read Lee..

could possibly be a c clip come out of the cabling too ,,whatever that means :rolleyes:

17. Satarion

Satarion Registered

Hi I am a mechanic by trade and it was only last month that I had a renault master van in with the same problem
    I found and fixed the problem and found it to be a selector link arm seized in the gearbox housing
    It is an easy job to sort if you have a look on top of the gearbox housing towards the rear you will find where the cables go
    on one of the cables it is attached to the link arm and has a bolt going through it where it is attached to the gearbox housing and what happens and it is a common fault with these is the plastic bushing where it is attached gets seized.
    What you will need to do is when you find this link arm detach the cable and unbolt the arm from the gearbox housing and this is where you will need a hammer to knock out the bolt
    When you have done this spray some wd40 or something similar where its bolted to the housing and rebolt the link arm back up with a new nut and bolt and reattach the cable
    this should sort it
    hope this has helped any
    Chris

18. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Cheers Chris

there is 2 cables 1 goes to top of gearbox, and 1 to the end of the gear box

so a pinch bolt could be seizing a plastic bush >>?

so remove the pinch bolt, do i remove just a selector arm externally, or do you have to slide something out from within the gearbox ?
    is it a pinch bolt similar to a motorcycle gearstick selector ?

just i may have a couple of hours free tomorrow afternoon, so may get to have a mooch

would this stop it from enaging reverse only ?

obviously if i could fix it myself, it would stop me having to put on Lee on his day off :wink:

cheers

19. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

Yeah could be a c clip Nev, could also be as above, on the cable stretch front there usually some adjustment on the cables. I'd rather come to you I think if you want me to take a look as I live on quite a steep hill and it's a bit dodgy lying under vehicles on it, tools not a prob, don't leave mine at work no more as it just not properly secure so I'll bring them with :)

20. tommypope

tommypope Registered

you no that scrappage scheme......Hysterical

only kidding hope you get it sorted:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice