1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Anti-Scratch float/optiwhite glass

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by Nick-ACS, May 11, 2011.

1. Nick-ACS

Nick-ACS Registered

Hi all :)

I'm just about to start my long awaited upgrade using anti-scratch optiwhite glass that I had imported from overseas.

I'm just wondering if we imported this product into the UK, would people be interested in it for their tanks?

The properties of the glass means that it is 5 x harder than normal glass but can be fabricated in the same way as normal and is available as normal float glass or Optiwhite versions.

This hardness means that it has the same VOH rating as Quartz with only sapphires and diamonds having a higher hardness factor.

Another benifit to the glass is that due to the special manufacture processes it undergoes it has a very high coefficiency rate, which basically means it's ultra smooth, I'm hoping that this will prevent algae and perhaps even coraline algae from being able to take purchase on the glass surface, meaning no more cleaning required, but this theory is yet to be put to the test.

The cost of the glass looks to be around twice that of normal glass and this is why I'm asking whether people would be willing to pay this kind of surcharge to have panels or tanks made from this product.

Any feedback, as always, more than welcome :)

Nick

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

Sounds like a great product ,Something i will be looking a,t when i change my tank ,,,Pete

3. Neil

Neil Registered

IMHO if the price is right most would want it for there tanks

4. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

As above if the price is right then most will entertain the idea for there next upgrade

5. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Agree :smile:

6. BigBad82

BigBad82 Registered

Imagine not having to clean your glass!!! Get testing Nick ;-)

7. ray70

ray70 Registered

Wd defo look at this when I upgrade in a few months :0)

8. Nick-ACS

Nick-ACS Registered

Hi all :)

Thanks for the feedback Big Thumbs Up

I realise we all want to keep costs to a minimum, but sometimes the nature of the products themselves means it's sometimes the costs of the materials themselves that make some things an expensive option.

When we looked into the glass this was the case as it does cost twice as much as normal glass, so it would be a case of, if we could sell enough then we could negotiate for lower prices, unfortunately as this product isn't used in the UK at the moment there is no pressure on the manufacturers to sell it here, only by demand, so its a case if we order it we get it, if we don't they dont bring it here.

So it is what it is.

I'm hoping we can get somewhere with it that proves worthwhile getting in the required minimum quantities in for us to make it a viable upgrade, but we'll just to wait and see. :)

Nick

9. justin2008

justin2008 Registered

Sounds very intresting.
    To me something like the cost of the glass is very little when we price up a new tank,cabinet and all the equipment plus the livestock on top so long term 5years + doubling the glass price is nothing if it is indeed scratch resistant, makes removing algae etc a much easier chore then its a godsend, I think it will have to be tried and tested though before people pay the extra.
    But hey if it does what it says on the tin then maybe its the future!!

10. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I have an Opti White Glass Tank

If this becomes available I would defiantly put it on my next tank

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i am tight as cramp apparently,,

but if it does what it says on the tin ;)

12. Nick-ACS

Nick-ACS Registered

Thanks for taking the time to post the feedback guys, it's good to see it's positive dispite the fact it could be yet another product that adds to the price of the hobby, rather then make it more affordable.

I pretty much have the same feelings in that, if it makes things easier and adds real tangible benefit, then it could be worth investing in.

I've spoken to several shops about taking in my existing system in as a shop display, if no-one has room for it then I'll be putting it up for public sale in order to get my new set up underway.

I have a spare rail of the new glass which I'll be standing in my tank to test the theory of algae not being able to cling to it, so we'll see how it works out :)

Nick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice