1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Anemone Concerns

Discussion in 'Fish, Anemone's and Critters' started by Hodgy_2k5, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Evening All,

My bubble tip nem is giving me concern. I got it about 3/4weeks ago from Gaz Frags up in Sunderland. All healthy and situated itself pretty much where I put it that night. Over the weeks it's moved within a 8" area, from between the rocks to under, into holes etc, but has always kept its tentacles towards the light. It would normally recede under a rock on an evening but came back out every afternoon.

However my concern, I introduced 2 new wave makers last Friday, All pond solutions RW-8's. However on Tuesday night I decided to move them from the front of my tank to the back as they we're causing my Hammer, Christmas tree and Xenia corals to close up. I then went away to Blackpool Wednesday Morning and returned Thursday evening. Nem was still in the same area but was actively wandering whilst I was watching it. We then went out for tea (Tomahawk Steak House, Potto - 100% recommended) and when I came back it had continued to move but was still visible and still in the same area as it was but heading towards the rock overhang.

The following morning it'd disappeared, I had a look and found it to be under the overhang but tentacles still moving freely. As of this morning I couldn't see it at all, so tonight I've come in and it's still missing. I decided to over turn the rock and there it is, less the half its original size and tentacles tucked in so it resembled a ball. I've now turned the rock on it's side as a temp measure and it's started to open again. I wish I could leave the rock this way to encourage it to come back out but I'm now restricting light to the Mushrooms and Kenyon Trees which are on the other side of the rock.

Any thoughts or ideas?

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Sounds like it's not liking the flow from the new powerheads and getting stressed,
    they're very sensitive and will move until they find a place they like, my advice would be to let it find its own spot and let it settle down again.

3. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

seems to be a lot more settled today, I was a bit naughty and pointed a power head at him. After about 30mins he detached himself and I moved him into a point of the tank that has less flow, plenty of light and nicely in the middle of my tank, right at the front. He's wedged himself into a hole, but looks bigger than I've ever seen him. Hopefully he's there to stay.

When would you suggest feeding him? Also where is the best place to buy frozen food that Nem's like?

4. doug_amanda

I've never fed mine other than what it can collect when I feed mysis to the tank,, he's a lot bigger now than when I got him so I guess he's ok,, some people feed small pieces of raw fish and prawns once or twice a month.

5. doug_amanda

How's the anemone doing? Has it settled?

6. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

I've had to rescape the tank and he's now hiding during the night but fully extending during the day. He's pretty much still in the same position. I'll photo it tonight and post it up.

doug_amanda likes this.
  7. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Can't figure out how to upload

8. Realist

Realist Registered

Bottom right upload a file.

9. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

10. rabster

rabster Registered

I would let him settle

He will take an ASBO out against you if you don't leave him alone lol

Rabster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Realist likes this.
  11. rabster

rabster Registered

I have two anemones. This is their journeys in the tank hopefully you can work it out. They hid for days. Came out during the day and then vanished at night. They seem to have stayed were they are now for past few weeks. They do like flow and I have noticed that they will collapse if flow is off for any length of time.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Rabster

12. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

He's been fixed for about a week now. Getting bigger everyday.

Realist likes this.
  13. rabster

rabster Registered

This just happened

[​IMG]

Proud owner of two anemone!

14. doug_amanda

:applaudit:Lucky you:applaudit::applaudit:

15. doug_amanda

16. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Yeh it's a white spot bubble Nem. Pink and slightly transparent.

doug_amanda likes this.
  17. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Am thinking of getting one....but know not where to put it :confundio: May have to introduce a new bit of rock and hope it stays put :)

18. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Have seen a good sized green bta for £35 at my lfs :)

19. Hodgy_2k5

Hodgy_2k5 Registered

Hope it's a decent size for that kind of £££.

As an update my nem is on the move again lol he's now heading to the centre of the tank lol

20. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

I now have the £35 nem from my lfs :) Had it a few weeks and observed my clowns last night paying it some attention for the very first time :aaaaa:

So fingers crossed may soon have a nice green nem with 2x inhabitants :D

BTA.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice