1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured And yet another algae problem.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Whipitup, May 8, 2015.

1. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Not the same as last time, this time is seems to be Calerpa.

Started about a month ago, creeped around from behind the rocks, I've tried pulling it off the rocks but to no avail.

I've tried cutting down feeding to a minimum, the algae in the sump is still growing but not out competing this stuff.

I think I need somthing to eat it, before it takes over the whole tank.

I'm thinking Tang, but open to advise.

If it carries on growing at this rate it will cause a tank shut dowm, and this time I suspect it will be for good.....:-(

2. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

what type of caulerpa it it Roger?

3. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

A green creeping variety!
    Small Leaves .
    Ill get a picture later.......

4. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

A (not very good) picture:

[​IMG]

5. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Grape Caulerpa by the looks of your picture.
    I got it in my DT as it was in my sump & it did my head in. As fast as I ripped it out, it grew back & some more.
    For me, in the end I ended up taking the pieces of affected rock out of my tank, scrubbing it with a wire brush then boiled the rock to kill it all off, rinsed under the tap, dipped in old tank water then put back into my DT. Obviously my drastic action upset the balance of my tank & I ended up going through a bad cyborg outbreak after that.
    I wouldn't recommend going to the extreme as what I did but I certainly feel your pain Roger.

6. woody5371

woody5371 Registered

Phosphate to high

7. warby

warby Registered

Not good Rodger. It must be feeding off phosphate and nitrate......your tests will probably be reading false as the calurpa is consuming the phosphate and nitrate........by the way how's that brain coral doing? And has it ever shrunk down yet? Haha

8. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

aye looks like peltata , the rhizomes (rooty bits) are soft on that algae and should with a bit of patience and some tweezers pull out of the rock if you can get in close enough .

9. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Thanks for the input guys................
    Dave, there is no way I could try your method as my rockwork is just one huge piece......
    Jason, Phos may well be too high, but I must be getting false readings, and I'm hardly feeding at all at the minute (and havent for weeks)......
    As for tweezers, I've tried, all that happens is the stem breaks of and leaves the roots behind.....
    Warby, as expected, the Brian is just fine.....

So.....nothing will eat it??

10. warby

warby Registered

I'm sure my lfs told me ages ago foxfaces and tangs may eat it. Have you had a look on the net to see what others say?

Edit: quick search on the net says foxfaces and most tangs will eat it.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Foxface (probably too big - and i dont really like them) Tangs - (a small Yellow would do, and I've kept them successfully before) sea slugs and a lettuce slug? apparently.

12. livingjewels

livingjewels Registered

Is it rooted in just one place.? If so what about covering the root area up so it's blocked out from light and nutrients.
    I stuck a clump of blue tack over my aiptasia to see them off, and it works too! . (Unless this is the Japanese knot weed of the ocean, and it that case your goosed)

13. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

First a better picture:

[​IMG]

And second, just what I pulled out this morning:

[​IMG]

It's growing like a *******!!!

14. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

It's over quite a large area :-(

15. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Fish to predate, try a yt, if not my money is on a foxface evrn though you dont like (i dont either plus they are coral eating ime)

If not, chemicals

I bet peroxide would work albiet slowly, but i dont understand wgy people go this way over my prefered sodium hydroxide (ie caustic soda), which you mix moderatly at 10%, and apply direct with all flow pumps off. No more than 1ml per 100l per day, apply using a titration shringe.
    Pumps back on after 5 mins

Btw it kills anything it touches, though once its flocked its less potent, so don't get any on coral

16. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Well, went to get a tang, came away with 2 mahooosive Mexican Turbo's and my first ever Urchin........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Not keen on adding chemicals to the tank, especially as it's a relatively small tank.

18. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

Very interested to see if the urchin has a munch and if you have loads of it Roger I could take it from you as I no longer have any peltata :)
    I think you'd struggle with chemicals as the root stems you need to get will be all over the place I bet .

19. Eyore

Eyore Guest

I imagine it would take multiple treatments, never used on caulerpa, but against bubble algae its very effective
    I dont blame you, but promise me if all else fails you will contact me and give it a go

Chemically i am certain in this method, its just sodium and hco3 (dkh) ultimately, utilising a little co2 (hense the ph raise)

It is nasty **** though especially if a child was to get near it so must be stored correctly

20. Tango

Tango Registered

hi ya, I had the same problem with some rocks in my tank.
    Tried everything, tweezers, mowing, pulling to no avail.

I even own 7 tangs who wouldn't touch it.

So we did pull the rocks out and add a couple of new base rocks.
    It was smothering my corals and nothing was working.
    Everything i have read about this
    macro algae invasions do not indicate nutrient issues, they indicate only import and non action, they are among several species that grow in ultra low nutrient tanks if simply put in one. the majority, not the minority, of any algae invasion in a tank is due to import and inaction

I have no other algae present anywhere, in fact had to sell my clean up crew and move abalone to the sump because they were starving.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice