1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Alkalinity

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Manc_Paul, May 4, 2015.

1. Manc_Paul

Manc_Paul Registered

Tanks been neglected over last few months as I've been away a lot, just spent all weekend sorting it out and cutting back some out of control Kenya tree. However after doing all my water tests I've noticed that my alkalinity is way too low! 4.8dKH/1.70 meq/l

I have the seachem Reef Builder and currently filling a 30l tub of ro water to mix it in. Would that be enough to bring it right back where in needs to be?? It needs to be raised by at least 7.0dKH

2. codster

codster Registered

That is a high level your after 11.8dkh and a big jump from where its at now.personally 8/9 dkh is where i would aim for its more of nsw levels but each to there own do it slowly whichever level you aim for (weeks mate )

3. Manc_Paul

Manc_Paul Registered

brill, cheers mate. thought it would be weeks!

4. warby

warby Registered

i think the most you can raise it is 1DKH per day but most recommend 0.5 per day. i run mine at 8DKH tried it higher but didnt notice much difference so put it back down

5. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I run mine at 7.5 to 8 DKh

Which matches the salt I use

As above 0.5 per day

You may find the first day not much happens with it being so low

Don't be tempted to add lots of extra buffer as it can suddenly shoot up

6. Manc_Paul

Manc_Paul Registered

Cheers guys, I've added enough to a 30l mix to take it up to 7.5. I'm just going to add a few litres per day and see how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice