1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

alk residue blocking Doser hose tip

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by jas, Apr 11, 2015.

1. jas

jas Registered

Hi fellas, this is a new one for me, I've had to change alk brands twice recently and every 2-3 days there is enough buildup of chalky alk residue on my Doser tube tip, it is blocked. I can't figure if its too highly concentrated or if the salt spray from my sump is causing this. Any ideas on how to not have this issue?

2. Eyore

Eyore Guest

What concentration are you mixing it?

Try halfing it

3. jas

jas Registered

Yes Nigel, that was my only possible thought as well. I'm not sure of the concentration since it arrives in a bag with a recipe tagged to it....no details.
    Others have said to submerge the hose ends into the sump. Couldn't that cause seawater to travel into the Doser lines ?

4. Eyore

Eyore Guest

I mean concentration you mix at? 50g/l 100g/l etc

Obviously impurity such as calcium or magnesium has to precipitate out to a degree as calcium and magnesium carbonate is minimally soluable

Temperature of tube (cold room) will lead to precipitation to

And then it will always precipitate at the end of the tube, though i never blocked a tube with this, every few months i just pull it off. There is imo no need to dose underwater, in fact i think it will be probematic for 2 reasons- (a) it will reduce the dispersion of bicarb, posdibly localised precipitation under water (b) any potential of ecen a slight back syphon will be really probematic, as seawater of 35ppt containing nearly 1.8% of calcium and magnesium mixed into bicarb should produce calcium and magnesium carbonate imo, not that i know from experience or teaching to be clear

Some put atu over their bicarb hose (not a bad idea imo) though i do not

5. jas

jas Registered

The recipe calls for 500g soda ash/1 gallon of to water.

6. jas

jas Registered

My new brand asks for 430g/gallon. And this morning my tube tips are clean :).....of course my Alk might be dropping ng too :/

7. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Carbonate should easily saturate at those amounts

8. jas

jas Registered

Maybe impurities? Either way, my new mix is dosing cleanly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice