1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Algae

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by jrob3rts, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Trying to work out what to do with this stuff guys and gals.

I believe its Bryopsis or a strain of. Appears to be rooted. Used Tech M, maybe not enough by the looks of it. It disappeared and then came back with a vengeance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427011093.567107.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427011107.009566.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427011121.321599.jpg

Phosphates were low, using Rowa but guess that's a false reading and not tested for a short while.

Ideas?

2. Colin

Colin Registered

Hydrogen Peroxide worked a treat for me but [MENTION=11471]screwloose[/MENTION] had a different experience however I think he over did it.

Pure HP (not mouthwash) applied with all flow off directly to the base of the bryopsis with a syringe a little bit every day (I used 20ml a day in a 1000L system). Let it fizz away for a few minutes and turn the flow on, the bryopsis will turn grey and die permanently. Can take a while but it did a good job for me with SPS in the tank. I used very strong HP (35%) but I'm now hearing that as low as 3% works just as well

3. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Hi Colin, I believe you mentioned this before.
    I'm not put any SPS in yet, so have some flexibility in terms of Coral stocking. I do have fish and some softies which I would like to keep healthy so some reading is needed.
    In all honesty, trying to ID this stuff. It's not looking too much like Bryopsis, but it's rooting like the stuff.
    Lighting seems to have an effect.
    I'll continue to try and confirm ID, and will look into the HP route.
    Do I need to get it from anywhere in particular?
    Any affect to your fish / critters?

4. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

lettuce Nudi will eat it

5. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Will it kill the rooted areas Ben?

To add. Basically I want rid of this stuff, for good.

6. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Not sure pal. I know Craig [MENTION=22079]Heisenberg[/MENTION] has Byropsis and used Tech M although at first it appeared to work it came back. He picked up a Lettuce Nudi in Abyss the other week there were only a few quid (£12 iirc) so far it munching its way through the stuff. Byropsis is all they eat though so if it does the job he will need to move the Nudi on.

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Worth a try. I'll probably put a thread up ready for moving it along so can arrange a next person.

8. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

On a positive note, got a wicked fuge running right now. Full of life lol.

I just want a nice tank.

9. screwloose

screwloose Registered

I personally wouldnt advise hp....I believe it kills too much, bacteria, micro fauna etc

Yours looks like you need to up your cuc.

Tuxedo, hermans, emerald crabs, etc

10. Eyore

Eyore Guest

As above, get stuff that eats eats it- yellow tang for me, looks like gha not bryprosis

Killing with chemicals is easy - sodium hydroxide applied direct in tank with pumps off rather than hydrogen peroxide is far more effective, however whatever is leaching out of those (bones? And coral gravel?) Will still leach and feed (whatever) as it re grows. The only way to sort this is to keep tank po4 as low as possible, and then eventually (6 months maybe) the rock work and tankwater will be equal in po4 and no more leaching

Btw the fact it is prefering horizontal surfaced imply a reliance on light, bryprosis i dont think is quite so picky, gha will prefer light

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  11. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Cheers all.
    The tank is too small for a tang, around 30 gallons. I could go down the typical route of a small tang but know it would be a disaster trying to get one out and don't want to be stuck with a issue.
    Nev, happy to get some more CUC. I have hermits but as you suggest, maybe not enough.

Should I consider the Lettuce Nudi as mentioned above?

12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Only prob with lettuce nudi, I think they end up starving...same with a hare

I would just up the cuc, urchins are pretty quick, maybe a couple of small tuxedos...then get a couple more hermits, snails etc

Algae blennie can also be rigorous eaters..mine even munches bryopsis

13. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Cool, cheers for the help.

14. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

[​IMG]

A lot better

15. Andi

Andi Registered

As a bit of a note on sea hares, when they have eaten through hair algae I have kept them successfully on nori for conciderable lengths of time, also I love them as they're weird!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice