1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Algae Battles...

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by rabbut, Mar 13, 2011.

1. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Evening all,

I'm having trouble with two types of algae.

1) Red, branchy, tough stuff, similar to Bryopsis

2) Red Bubble Algae

The two are starting to get out of hand now, despite weekly manual removals. Water stats are usually good in terms of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate. Usually I don't even get a trace on one or the other... Ammonia was up a week or so ago (see my charts), but I think that was more me getting used to a new test kit (just switched brands), rather than an actual spike :blush:

The overview charts are accessible via the test tube image below. Charts for just the last 5 tests can be found at the link below;

http://www.thesaltybox.com/results/results/rabbut/detail.php

I'd like to know the best method of attack. Manual removal doesn't appear to be getting anywhere, and I can't work out what it's feeding on.

These have been about in the system now since about christmas time. I think they came in on a piece of coral I got shortly before that time :sad:

Any thoughts, comments or advice on sorting them out would be much appreciated Worship

2. Ged

Ged Registered

The red bubble algae is it on loads of rocks or not?

I would potentially treat the same as I am trying to do with the brown GSP

Taking a piece of rock out at a time and then scalding with hot water. Getting rid of it with a toothbrush once scalded, then cleaning off again in hot water.

Yes it may kill some of the rock, but in moderation, it has had no detrimental effect that I can tell. Like reefbones, it would soon reseed anyway.

3. rabbut

rabbut Registered

That's a possible method to use in a month or so, when I next have a break from uni and hence time to dismantle the reef. TBF, it needs doing as I've ran out of perches for new corals anyway :rolleyes:

Only one rock is badly affected with the bubble, and likewise the Hairy one. They are starting to appear elsewhere aswell however...

4. Ged

Ged Registered

I would kill the bubble algae with a nice hot bath then mate. It is gone for good then. :thumbup1:

Give it a couple of weeks then do the other one. As my mate Gordon would say, Done!

5. karnivor

karnivor Registered

The best muchers of red algae are true mexican turbos.

What spectrum lighting are you using?

Tony.

6. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It's a 14,000K 250W BLV lamp in the unit... There is only the halide over the display for lighting :thumbup1:

7. karnivor

karnivor Registered

That could be helping the red algae.
    Normally red algaes prefer higher spectrum lighting with lower brightness like you will get from the BLV.

You could try running a cheapy 6500 bulb for a week or two, it should kill it off, but watch out for the green algae, as it will start to grow.

Tony.

8. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Interesting....

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try a different lamp if it persists then :smile:

9. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Agreeing with Tony on this, try a higher brightness bulb
    Red bubble does seem to like lower ligting levels. I get alot of red bubble algea growth in my sump mainly because of the lower level of brightness from the bulb I use, which I manually remove every couple of weeks.

Steve

10. Turner

Turner Registered

WOW:whistling:... rabbut asking fo advice... whats the world coming too:wink:!!!

hope you sort it easy enough pal. u help everyone else out with there problemsBig Thumbs Up

11. rabbut

rabbut Registered

We all need help with things at some point turner, it's impossible to know everything, and as hard as anyone tries in this hobby, we all have blips at some point with our systems :whistling:

For those whom are suggesting a different lamp, can you recommend one? It will have to be the end of the month when I actually get it, as cash is tight ATM, but suggestions for then are appreciated :smile:

12. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

I'd say either one of Iaquatics MH or one off MacAquatics on fleabay
    Both or inexpensive and would work as a tempory measure untill the outbreak subsides
    Steve

13. Sandy

Sandy Registered

raising your mag kills green bryopsis, so might be worth a try

worth a read..Byropsis Defeated

14. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Chears Steve and Sandy. I have tried raised mag for green Bryopsis in the past, and it did work, so that might be worth a good too :smile:

15. karnivor

karnivor Registered

You can go two ways with bulbs.
    If its temporary, get one from a lighting supplier, for normal highbay use. They are very cheap but will look bright and awful.

If you need a replacement for the BLV, you should consider investing in a good 10k bulb. We sell Reeflix bulbs and they are extremely bright and give fanstastic colours. The best bulb on the market IMO.

Tony.

16. Giblet

Giblet Registered

I'll second the true Mexican Turbos. I got three for my Nano and they have cleared the short red algae completely. Make sure everything is bolted down though because they are MASSIVE! I now supplement their feed twice a week with some dried red seaweed that I pin to the glass with the magnetic cleaner. The Turbos polish it off in a minute or two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice