1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Air Fresheners

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by stevebibby, Dec 22, 2013.

1. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Ok here's the thing
    ive had 3 SPS colony's crash and bleach this week for no apparent reason that I could put my finger on. All params are fine and stable so after a few days beating myself up over what could be causing the crash I got up this morning to find my Mrs going mad through the house with a can of Ooust. Upon questioning her about this shed been spraying for the whole week as in her words she didn't want any smells from the sump over the Xmas period while we had guests.
    Could this be the direct cause and if so has it polluted my set up and what can I do to cure it?
    Thanks
    Paronoid Steve

2. Darren@BigBlue

[email protected] Registered

I've no knowledge of a direct effect on your SPS Steve but I do know for a fact that air fresheners can cause aquarium problems. Ive had this happen to a few customers over time. I'm not going to go into detail because I'm not looking to cause strife at your home but suffice to say..... I'd be careful here.

3. warby

warby Registered

My missus did this because the new puppy had an 'accident' in the front room and it stunk lmao. After a bit of googleing i found out that some spray air fresheners have ammonia in them. Not to say that particular brand does though. Change your carbon to soak up any nasties that may be present in the water from the air freshener

4. heller792

heller792 Registered

highly likely a direct cause

5. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Carlos suffered problems with his new tank & he too was racking his brains why & the only thing different was his wife had put a new plug in , in the front room near his tank.
    I don't allow my wife any plug-ins in our front room or to spray anything in that room. She has a plug-in in the hallway, that's the closest she can get with one to my tank.

6. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Thanks guys. There WAS 2 plug ins in the dining room plus a timed spray in the hallway (about 15ft away) which after discussion have now been moved/ binned off along with a promise that she will no longer Spray in or around the dining room. However I think the damage may well have been done as when I've got home from work another 2 colony's have started bleaching along with about 10 frags on the rack. Done a huge water change along with replacing the activated carbon in the sump.
    Just a case of fingers crossed and hoping for the best now. Another water change planned for tomorrow night

7. reefloat

reefloat Registered

on this subject is there a safe method of freshening a room with aquaria? we have recently adopted a border collie - lovely dog but has this habit of passing wind every so often (suppose thats the polite way of putting it) at the moment its joss sticks - any suggestions that dont involve putting a carbon filter on the dogs backside

8. Darren@BigBlue

This is something I've struggled with for a while as I'm keen on a nice smelling environment. In the end, I've had to settle for strong smelling furniture Polish as sprays and oil burners are out.
    Can't you get charcoal biscuits for farting dogs?

9. jd5000

jd5000 Registered

cant say as i think my tank smells but my dog has enough wind to turn a turbine to power the tank .
    got to say been doing a lot of baking lately just as visitors are due .

julie.

10. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

I haven't tried this but it does apparently work .. bang some vodka in a spray bottle and add a few drops of the smelly oils you can buy . As vodka is ethyl alcohol (the main ingredient in shop bought fresheners) it dries and leaves no odor .

The op's question though is a very interesting topic in which I did some digging around a while back . From what I remember , and Oust especially , contains a set of chemicals called Phthalates which react with naturally occuring ozone that produces formaldayde . I suppose this then would be sucked into the aquarium via skimmers etc and the use of ozone on the aquarium would increase the amount .Both of these in the aquarium obviously have a very negative effect .
    What figures are involved I have no idea but I'm sure even small amounts are dangerous enough to kill bacteria which would result in spikes of ammonia , no3 etc .

Malc

11. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

Iv used the gel type air fresheners in rooms with no issues, obviously not right next to or on top of the tank...

12. B1zbaz

B1zbaz Registered

If air freshened do that to corals what do they do to us not sure I would want to use them anyway

13. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I've been looking into tank safe air fresheners for some time now. We, just like some others have dogs that stink, 4 of them in fact.

The worrying thing is the ingredients on air freshener bottles don't list possible harmful ingredients, Don't know why, or in this day and age why they're not made to do so.
    Using data sheets downloaded from the internet and general internet reading so far I haven't found one air freshener that would be 100% safe to use around the fish tank, and I've looked at a lot of them. The nearest one too being safe I've found so far is Citrus magic, It contains 100% natural ingredients but still has 0.25ppm phthalate.

The search goes on..

14. LincolnshirePoacher

LincolnshirePoacher Registered

Why not Gordon?, you could market it, 'the fart neutraliser' :whistling:

15. jas

jas Registered

Could be, maybe run carbon to clean chemicals from yoyr water .I do know air perfums can cause white slime in a reeftank. Its like beige cyano.

16. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Just out of curiosity ... Which is a good one to get? I have this elderly 17 yr old Bombay cat that craps and piddles under the sofa.. And I think that may be bad for tank also...

17. reefloat

reefloat Registered

only kills humans not fish

18. jas

jas Registered

You could put underwear on the dog with a fabric softening dryer sheet. So when he farts it smells like mountain freshness

19. Darren@BigBlue

Helpful suggestion of the year award goes to Jas. A few days to go but I can't see anyone topping that. :):beer::cool::thumbup:

20. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Tank has now progressed to having developed a scum on the surface of the sump where the flow is lower along with the display tank beginning to stink. Beginning to get a bit worried now!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice